Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup for New Standard La Scala?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MtnGoat, Oct 23, 2005.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Hey-
    I've got a La Scala on the way and would like to know what people are using out there for pickups. I have no experience with pickups and would like to find the one that is voiced the best for this bass. I will be using it a lot for jazz, but also playing country, bluegrass, folk, etc. Most of the playing will be pizz.
    Thanks

2. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    It will depend on the amp and cabinet you use, not to mention what kind of sound you want.

I've used the Full Circle and the Revolution Solo on my hybrid LaScala. Both sound good, but I prefer the Revolution solo. It sounds more microphone-like to me. I also use a mic, which is more mic-like still ;) .

My $.02 -
    I believe the Revolution Solo is probably the lowest-priced option out of all the popular pickups (Realist, Full Circle, etc.), so I'd start with that. Just my opinion. BTW, arco sounds great with the Full Circle if that affects your decision. Arco on the So-lo is so-so.

3. I've got a Full Circle on my new La Scala lam. It is acceptable but I'm not in love with it. I will probably try a Realist next, and will stay tuned for replies here for other ideas.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The Realist works very well on my bass. It gives me a very microphone like sound. It really depends on the overall timber of your bass. IMHO the Realists sounds better on instruments that emphasize the upper frequencies. The brighter the overall tone of the instrument, the better the Realists sounds, since the transducer favors the lower frequencies.
    If your instruments timbre is "on the dark side" it's probably not going to work as well. The Revolution Solo will most likely work in those situations. The Full Circle is a more expensive option in this case as well. There are of course other options, you sould take a look at the Newbies links under Amps and Pickups.

Ric

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43100

5. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    agree with last fellow about Realist. if your bass has a pronounced midrange, Realist can sound sweet. my own experience with Rev. Solo was underwhelming. brought back a lot of Underwood memories...

i'd love to see that bass when you start playing out on it, i pass through N.ville from time to time

dp