1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup identification?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by James Gibson, May 8, 2010.

1. Hello TB!

I recently traveled to Greensboro NC to get my bass worked on by Bob Beerman at Bob's Bass Violin Shop. I can now highly recommend his work to everyone in the region; he fixed a problem I was having at the bridge, installed a new soundpost, installed a new endpin and diagnosed my fingerboard for a future dressing, all while I waited and it took only around 2 hours. His prices are great, and he gave me some valuable advice about future upgrades/bass upkeep. It was a great experience and I plan to return towards the end of the summer.

Now, my question; while waiting, I had a conversation with Bob and his apprentice Gael about different pickups. He showed me one that was on another client's bass. Apparently, this bassist had raved that this was the best microphone he'd ever used. It was a very small microphone, maybe a 1/2 inch tall. The mic was attached to a cable which connected to what looked like an XLR jack. Keep in mind, I'm not sure if it was XLR, I didn't want to handle someone else's equipment for too long. Gael told me the cable was taped to the bridge right inside the arc, between the feet so the mic would hang down right above the top. If it's anymore help, they said the mic was from a company based out of Norway. Has anyone heard/seen/used something like this and can you point me in the direction of more information?

Thanks!

oh, and: www.bassviolinshop.com

2. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.

It cold have been a DPA 4099. There is a thread here on TB somewhere.

3. No, that wasn't what I saw in Bob's shop, but researching the DPA has kept me busy for most of the afternoon. I'll have to try that out sometime.

4. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong