1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup/Preamp combos

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CapeBass, Aug 22, 2007.

1. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I did some searching but couldn't find much, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Bartolini preamp, 3 band 4 knob configuration for a bass I'm having built. I just don't want to goof things up by getting pickups that won't go well with this preamp.

I play mainly hard rock and metal, progressive stuff. After reading some other posts I came to the conclusion Bart pickups aren't a good choice for this style? So my question is, will passive EMG's work well with this preamp? I'm also considering Basslines. The preamp has a push/pull feature on the volume knob for active/passive, so naturally I don't want full time active pickups.

This is my first custom project although I'm not the builder, I just don't want to make any mistakes in the hardware/electronics that I purchase. Thanks ahead of time.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

most onboard preamps are designed to be pretty transparent and that's been my experience with the Bart, Aguilar, and EMG's. The +/-'s have to do with factors other than tone. You'll hear different things but basically it's splitting hairs and nothing you could anticipate and ever validate for that matter unless you put the pre's in outboard boxes and A/B'd them to the same pups in the same bass through the same rig - which I've done (see FAQ Dimento's "onboard" preamp experiment).

In as much, there is no mismatch between these pres and pups - at least none I've had in some 100 different pups.