1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup recommendation for narrow spacing 5strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by natas, Oct 8, 2013.

1. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    hi fellow tb'ers, i'm currently looking for a pickup replacement for my bass
    1. i'm looking for a modern tone with good slap tones to spare
    2. my bass routes are for j type about 3.5 inches neck and 3.8 inches bridge
    3. string spacing at bridge is just over 16mm
    4. i'm looking at dimarzio,sd,bart price range (preferably canada distributed)

please let me know your recommendations.include complete model and price if possible. TIA

2. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    will be used with an onboard preamp (heartfield)

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    EMG J, JA and JCS will work with your string spacing. They are blade style pickups so string count and spacing (as long as it's under 69mm) makes no difference.

4. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    thanks MPU. more suggestions please

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd go Bartolini because you need a blade style pickup. You don't want a split coil since the split will probably be right under one of your strings.

EMG's will also work fine for the same reason. I personally don't like active pickups but that's personal preference.

You should probably find out what kind of pickups your preamp is designed to work with...active or passive.

6. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    it has a passive pickups right now.i also prefer passive so i can switch from active-passive mode. from the measurement of routes, what specific model of bartolini will fit?im thinking single coil too to avoid the gap of split

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You probably need these right here:

59 CBJS L/S (59 Long/Short)

- Fits non-Fender, J style Basses requiring one long and one short J style pickups

Pickup Length:
    Bridge - 95mm (3.73")
    Neck - 91mm (3.60")

8. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    thanks.are those the one wherein you can choose deep (1) and bright (3)?

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep. I prefer the deep.

10. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Bart and SGD (and others...too tired to think of them) would work well because they're blades. Wilde would work with the string spacing, but I don't know how well with the preamp.

11. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  12. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
  13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  14. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Really? Didn't know that. What about the five-string version then? Delano's specs tend to be pretty light on the technical details...

15. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    thanks for the outputs.i prefer single coils to avoit thetendency of the gap of splits under my a or d strings..
    are the sgd's on the classifieds single coils?anyway i think its on a deal pending status now.

16. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    On the Delanos...I think the 5 string versions are full blades but the 4 string are split coil.

On the SGD's in the classifieds..they would be perfect and would be my #1 choice if it were me. They are full blade, side by side humbuckers. If you want single coil, just wire one of the coils. If you want noise free, wire them parallel. If you want big and fat, wire them series. I'm not aware of another side by side humbucker like these, I love them.

17. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    I checked our dimensions at Duncan. Ours don't match up darn it. They are slightly too long on one and too short on the other> 3.65" & 3.74". We do offer custom rewind service though.

18. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wilde pickups J-45 set - passive, and the multi pole system works similar to blade designs so no problems with any string spacings. They are reasonably priced and as hum free as you can get with single-coils.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My thoughts exactly... :smug:

MM

20. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    sgd was sold.keeping my eye open for other options.
    are there distributors for wilde in canada?