1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup replacement to make my jazz sounds like modern spector

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by littlewayne0, Oct 30, 2010.

1. littlewayne0

littlewayne0

Dec 11, 2008
    Hi there

My bass is Fender jb75-us, japanese 75reissue with american pick ups(passive). the bass sounds great but i want some more beef and tone out of it (something sounds like spector tone idealy)

I have read the mega thread and think Im going with
    dimarzio dp123 model j

I want some second opinion, no emg series please.
    buying soon last decision making.

BTW does marcus miller uses shadowsky pickups aswell?
    I always wonder what he uses

2. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    Wassup bro? I have an original '74 Jazz(passive).A few years ago,my pickups went bad(old age) and my tech replaced them with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound J pickups.They were noticeably louder and a lil punchier and I never added a preamp.Of course if you're trying to get a Spector type sound,you might need to look at adding a preamp or maybe a stompbox pre.

Marcus' '77 jazz bass has Fender pickups but the preamp was modified by Sadowsky.

3. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    One more thing...if I were you,I wouldn't alter the U.S. 75 J-bass...I'd change the reissue bass...just my opinion though :)

4. littlewayne0

littlewayne0

Dec 11, 2008
    i dont know too much about preamp but I dont know if thats what i want to get invovled with..

It seems pretty pricy and hard to install.
    (Im doing this myself..changing pickup is a challange already onboard preamp&eletronic is probably out of my league.)

I would look into preamps and learn more about it
    but any recomandation on preamps will help :)

5. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    I would suggest you purchase an outboard(stombox) preamp then...that way,you won't have to worry about installation and you get basically the same sound. Aguilar and Sadowsky make good ones...there are tons more but those are the ones I've heard and liked.

Good luck with your quest!

6. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    The '75 J won't sound like a Spector. Spector's construction is totally different and the tone pump is an integral part of its tone.

The bridge J pickup on my Spector sounds nothing like the bridge pickup on my Js.

7. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Yeah cause the Spector has EMG's so it would be hard to get that sound without using EMG's.You can try getting custom pickups and adding a P pickup to get that Spector P/J sound.

Again...GOOD LUCK!!! Hope it works out for you!!!

Peace

Jackie

8. Metania

Metania

Oct 15, 2011
    Denmark
    I hate food!
    Why don't you just buy a Spector?

SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I'll even sell you one

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There's a beautiful NS-2J in the classifieds for dirt cheap right now. But, I'm sure the OP has bought something else since he posted this almost 4 years ago.

omgitzrick likes this.
  11. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Layout and construction of Spectors is way different. You can get close but it won't be exact. Pre amp is also a huge part of the Spector tone though. If your bent on staying passive I would recommend EMG's passive pickups. They have a model or two of passive. Thats probably going to be your best bet. I have a set of Dimarzio Model J's in my Ibanez and can cop a near Spector tone but it requires a lot of knob turning on my 3 band preamp. Honestly EMG uses a solder free setup, you be best served by getting a set of EMG's and there 2 band stacked preamp. I know you said no EMG but its really the only option for "Spector tone" but the DiMarzio pups will give you more heft, they are very rich in mids and lows.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm sure the OP would have dug those suggestions 3 1/2 years ago ;)

13. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    LOL. I usually check dates to avoid this. oh well. :bassist:

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    We all get hit by zombies on here.