Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Robert, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Robert

Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There's a lot of talk here about pickups, but never any recorded sound slips of them. I'm very interested in listening to all those pickups to get a picture of their sound.
    All you sound guys must have some dry samples of your pickups?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. It would be hard to give an accurate sonic picture of how various pickups sound unless you put them all on the same bass and put then through identical amplifiers, etc.

Ideally, the pickup shouldn't sound like a pickup -- it should sound like your bass. Every bass is different, therefore every pickup will sound different.

You can make generalizations ie Underwood accentuates highs, Realist emphasises lows, but I its all pretty subjective until you get the pickup on the bass and run it through your rig.

3. Robert

Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Okay, I'm buying all this talk about how each bass is totally different and so on.

But how come you can recognize an Underwood everytime you here one? The pickup definitely colors the sound in its own way.

There must be some samples out there? I'm still curious!