1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup swap that made the biggest difference in your tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Dec 18, 2018.

1. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I had assembled a jazz bass using a Warmoth body, a spare precision neck, and some Mexican jazz parts including the pickups. I then swapped the pickups for some Dimarzios which are dual coils. This really makes this jazz bass flexible since you can easily solo either pickup with no noise. Now it can convincingly cop a P bass sound with the neck pickup soloed or can sound like a jazz with the bridge pickup dialed in. It can pretty much be used for anything.
    8.JPG

gary mitchell likes this.
  2. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    Never have actually heard or heard of the BL Pickups. So I’d like to know—In the J-45 series do you have any idea of difference in Flush Pole pieces and Stagger Pole pieces? Is one necessarily better than the other or is it a use determinate type of situation?

3. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    Is there more than one type of dual coil available in SD’s? Do you know model numbers? Where did you get the faux leather look pickguard or did you make it?

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The most interesting tonal change I've heard by changing pickups was when I installed a Duncan Antiquity II pickup in a P bass.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    The stagger is intended to provide better string to string balance in volume output in that the middle pole pieces are raised slightly to accommodate the fret board radius.

I can't really say whether one is better or not but I can hear the difference between raised and flush even though the volume drop on the D and A is very very small.

Which someone would order may depend on their setup. If you typically adjust saddle heights to conform with the fret board radius the raised pole pieces should be more effective. But some don't set up their basses that way. In that case the flush pole pieces may be the way to go.

But in all other respects the pickups are identical.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Biggest difference?
    Any time I went from EMG to anything passive or vice versa.

7. What?? LoL

Nearly every player raves about the stock passive spector pj pickups when combined with the haz in the ns2a or the kramer forum series (which, incidentally, are also all maple, sound identical to, and feel quite similar to the ns2a.... played both quite a bit and worked on the forum iii extensively).

I have that pickup setup in my forum iii and it's an amazing sounding instrument. Not as bright as with active emgs, but that doesn't make them bad sounding. I love the tone.... no desire to mod the pickups.

8. Squier Affinity Stratocaster/Bronco Bass pickup to a Cool Rail humbucker style pickup with double the K ohm resistance.

9. Took the N3s out of my Jazz Deluxe and replaced them with Aguilar 70s. Opened up the tone in both passive and active, even with the stock preamp. Has now become my go to bass.