1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Swap(w/ samples) Fender Player P -> DiMarzio DP 122 Model P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NikkiVibes, Apr 21, 2020.

1. NikkiVibes

NikkiVibes

Jul 6, 2019
    Tokyo
    Hello everyone!

I got my DiMarzio DP122 Model P yesterday and swapped it into my Fender Player P. Since, I cant leave well enough alone, I wanted to swap out the pickup. No real sound desires, but I often like to change my pickups to taste. I thought it would be interesting to try something "different" from the stock fender P pickup. I thought it would be good to have something more powerful to make up for the lighter strings, but Im not sure if this was fully accomplished or not.

The fender Player P pickup is the new Alnico V one that comes stock on the fender player series now. Model P is wired in series, with the same pots that came stock.

Sound samples were recorded using the same strings: GHS precision flats (3025) the "light" gauge ones. They are only 2 weeks old, I have been playing everyday, but they still sound quite new. All recorded using fingerstyle.
    I had to adjust the pickup height after I installed the DP122, so it would stop peaking the interface.
    All settings were kept the same between swaps.

Signal chain: Bass -> Steinberg UR22mkII -> Bias FX 2 67 T

Samples:

Fender Player P:

DiMarzio DP122 Model P:

There have not been many comparisons of this swap with flatwounds. Also, the newer Fender Alnico pickups are different than the older ones, so I think this will show some of the differences.

Pics:
    IMG_20200421_185847_6.jpg IMG_20200421_235425_5.jpg

What do you think?

Schmo_bass, Zymba and Sergi like this.
  2. I slightly prefer the DiMarzios

PotsdamBass8, SJan3 and jallenbass like this.
  3. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    DiMarzio is definitely hotter, smoother and a bit darker. The Player pups are a bit more edgy but more organic. They're both nice.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Zymba likes this.
  4. Zymba

Zymba Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Thank you for the clips. Both sound nice. That Model P is really woolly in the low end, which might be too much of a good thing for my taste, but with some steel rounds it would probably kill in a rock setting.

ScotRFM likes this.
  5. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    The model P sounds a bit more bloated on the low-mids and slightly more growly and metallic to me.

With those flats, I probably prefer the first, only if I have to choose...

ScotRFM likes this.
  6. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass

Dec 28, 2017
    NJ
    Agree - prefer the Fender. very similar to experiments I have been running on my PJ. swapped Fender CS62 for Fender Pure Vintage 63. Still evaluating and trying strings against the change.

ScotRFM likes this.
  7. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Does the 63 sound fatter like I usually read around?

8. NikkiVibes

NikkiVibes

Jul 6, 2019
    Tokyo
    Hello all,

Thanks for checking it out. I wanted to "Do the science" since the newer player series have alnico pickups and theres a lot of old comparisons to the ceramic ones.

The bass now has NXYL's on it 105-45. Seems to suit the new pickup much better.
    I think the Fender sounds best with the flats too. Rounds it could go either way depending on taste.

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Pv63 dint sound fatter, but present strong low mid , more bite along with less edgy.

10. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass

Dec 28, 2017
    NJ
    I would say the PV63 is in fact a bit fatter. It’s definitely rounded and deep. not a ton of edge or bark or sparkle. Those lows are still quite well defined and butter smooth and powerful. To me, that adds up to a pretty fat tone! The CS62 is prettier, more “musical”, open and wide range. Neither has much much “wooly” thing in the low mids that I hear on my MIM P.

The challenge for me is I play in a blues rock trio, and I need to fill in a lot of space. easy with any of the above P’s with nickel rounds. but with flats... which one works best...? No rehearsals now, just bedroom testing of the pickup swaps, so hard to know for sure.

11. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    The answer to me is that... "all of them would do" tbh

Wait for rehearsals then

12. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass

Dec 28, 2017
    NJ
    yeah. Ain’t no substitute for the real thing. Actually I just put DR sunbeams on the PJ with the PV63 swapped in and it really this combo really sounds amazing. Rich, warm lows gallor, with great note definition and sustain and just enough upper end that I think this could really be “the sound” for the band. Maybe another month and we’ll see.

13. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been eyeing both pickups for my PJ. I plan to upgrade the pickups on my Fender Deluxe PJ, and I already ordered a Darkmoon Caravan for the bridge J. Which one has higher output and has more low mids, the CS62 or the PV63?

14. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass

Dec 28, 2017
    NJ
    [QUOTE="_jaxon5, post: 2399397 I plan to upgrade the pickups on my Fender Deluxe PJ, and I already ordered a Darkmoon Caravan for the bridge J. Which one has higher output and has more low mids, the CS62 or the PV63?[/QUOTE]
    I guess it depends on what we mean by low mids. there are low mods and then low low mids...

MIM P (from the PJ Delux 2015) is all mid to me. Punchy and slightly crunch.... great cut through a mix.

CS62 (from Am Std Mag 7 PJ 2016) has a much wider range: low lows to fairly high highs. slightly scoped in the upper mids but still a “P” sound, more polite, musical and flexible. Responds well to EQ to yield almost any tone you wish.

PV63 is all about low and lower low mids. Very mellow and warm. thumpy punchy but not barky or throaty. SLIGHTLY higher output than CS62 but notsuch a big jump. It’s definitely got its own sound, and EQ is not as effective in dialing another sound - it sounds fantastic straight into the amp for what it is.

I have that same PN Deluxe (2015 MIM Sea Foam) - I like the pickups with that maple Neck on that for the mid range thump and throaty sound. I pair it GHS Balanced Nickels - great stuff for blues rock.

15. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    We’re talking about the same bass right? The FSR from GC/MF? I love it, but not really a fan of the almost unusable Noiseless J pickup. I guess it’s stupid to try and change the P pickup just for the sake of changing it. Although from your description I think the CS62 will suit me more than the PV63.

Now to choose between the SD Steve Harris or the CS62... or to not spend at all!

16. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK

Does it verge towards Duncan's SPB2 territory or are we talking apples and oranges?

17. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass

Dec 28, 2017
    NJ
    Yes I have the GC FSR PJ in Sea Foam.

But I’ve been swapping in another bass so far.

For the Sea Foam I agree with you - I find the J pickup to be only so-so whether solo or blended. in fact I tend to play this bass many with the J rolled most of the way down. I like the P pick up characteristic however, it suits this bass, so I will not swapped that pickup. I might try swapping the J...and I have learned that swapping the J will interact and impact the P pickup sound a little bit as well so there is a certain amount of experimentation needed.

My swaps so far have been on my other PJ, an Am STD with rosewood fingerboard.

And yes both the CS62 and the PV63 are great, just different flavors.

What makes this tricky for PJ, is that he sound varies as to which J pickup is paired with. Right now I
    am trying to find the best pickup at match to thePV63 to make this bass my “mellow” P, meant to going with either flats or very warm nickel rounds to go with my band’s Blues tune. This will leave the Sea foam to be my more “grindy” P with a slightly brighter roundwound to use for rock (eg with a touch of distortion) Jack Bruce type tone. at least that is the plan.

18. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Sweet! To go on a little bit of a tangent here, would you know anything more about the stock P pickups on the Sea Foam PJ? I want to know it better. Like what is its DC reading? I probably won’t change it. But this does make me happier that I decided to splurge on the J pickup recently. If that boutique pickup doesn’t work then I have either a DiMarzio Model J or Ultra Jazz to fall back on.

What J pickup(s) have you been eyeing? Interested to know your choice.

19. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass

Dec 28, 2017
    NJ
    I don’t know the pickup’s specs - I need to learn how to use a meter to read that.

Just like you, I have a Model J and Area J in hand to try as alternatives.

In my AM std the Area J + PV63 was a big improvement vs the classic J that was in there; no noise and better tone. In principle there 6 combinations:

CS62 + ARea J
    CS62 + Model J
    PV63 + same 2
    MIM + same 2

I could imagine the Model J fitting the MIM better and the Area J fitting the CS62 better, just based on tone. The PV63 could probably go either way.

I’ll let you know.

20. Thanks for the comparison! I like when people post these, because you know someone’s going to be contemplating this exact change and it’s good to have back to back clips. I like both, and I don’t know which I would’ve gone with. I’ve heard the Model P sounds much better with rounds than flats. I’ve used one only with rounds. It sounded good in your clips, but the stock pickup just sounds really good too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021