Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup wiring etc.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by popinfresh, Sep 17, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, i've done most of the stuff for my T-bird and the rest of my parts come next week. I've got my pickups to try out (set of Bart J's, Set of Dimarzio Js and a Dimarzio P).. And now I need to know all of it is going to be wired etc.

I have a Aguilar OBP-3 sitting around, but because for the most part Im wanting the most growl I can get out of this bass, I want to have a active/passive switch to truelly go passive when I want to, yet can use the Aguilar when I need to as well (if the aguilar will work with my idea).

Now.. Pickup layout is going to be two Jazz pickups in the bridge (like a thumb 5) and a P pickup closer to the neck. I would like to be able to blend between the P and two Js. Then be able to solo each J pup with the option of blending in the P pickup with the two different Js.
    Is that possible? I was thinking maybe some sort of 3 way switch would work in conjunction with a blend pot where I can have like 1)Bridge J pickup + P, 2) 'Neck' J pickup + P 3) Two Jazz pickups + P. Then whenever the switch is in a certain position, I can just blend between the different pickups. Get me? And if this is possible, is it possible to have all this working in a passive circuit yes?

Once I have this down, if I can, i'd then have an Active circuit with the Aguilar.

I have a diagram with the aguilar preamp which includes the following: Blend, Volume, Bypass*, Mid, Bass, Treb, Mid Select Switch (goes between 400 and 800, am I right that it doesn't boost these frequences, but selects them to be boost/cut with the mid pot?).
    *By the looks of it, the bypass switch does what I'm after and bypasses the active circuit (for passive). Can anyone confirm/deny that?

So.. Could I use this diagram here, then add in a 3 way switch somewhere before/after the blend control to go between the pickups? If so, how would I wire it up?

Thanks heaps!

2. Here's an idea that will work...

In the passive version (first pic)
    It uses a Volume/Blend/Tone setup with a 3-way selector to select your jazz pups...you select which jazz pickup configuration you want and then dial-in (or out) the P-pickup to taste.

To add the active circuit just install it in instead of the tone and volume controls...leave the blend and selector switch aspect of this circuit intact and as the preamp input.