1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickups and electronics for metal and classic rock

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by erang, Aug 19, 2012.

1. erang

erang

Aug 19, 2012
    Hi
    im building a 5 string bass and trying to decide wich pickups to use, i want active/passive electronics and soapbar shaped pickups
    the sound im looking for is rickenbacker british rock sound on one hand and on the other, wide range high gain metal sound( meshugghaa, overkill, pantera)

any recomendations on pickups brands, combinations ,electronics?

2. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    So your basically looking for passive pups with active electronics. There's a few to choose but not sure their gonna get you what you want. Emg-hz's, Bart's, delano's top the list. Probably gonna want a J /j or p/j in the soapbar shape . Emg TW's will do that but then the loose the active passive thing. I would say go all active but that's me. Your choice of pre is gonna make a big difference as well.

2 of your metal tones are spector guys btw. If that tells you anything.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    ...and to add to that, your choice in distortion pedals will make a big difference too.

4. erang

erang

Aug 19, 2012
    thanks grendle, spector is usually all active emg as far as i know, that was my first option, but i still wants a passive active option
    lets say i'll got with emg, whats the best combination of pickups and pre ?
    not locked on the soapbar shape if thats a problem

about distortion pedal, sure , it makes a big different but the guitar is self should sound perfect before using any other processing so i cant take this in account when looking for pickups

5. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Best is subjective, lots of guys like BQC set up, the Spector tone pump and HAZ 9v are tops too. Depends if you want mid controls or not. There are a lot of pre's to choose. Why are you wanting the passive option?

6. erang

erang

Aug 19, 2012
    i just like the passive tone, theres something in passive that i dont hear in active systems and i would like to have that options sometimes, its not my main goal and i can pass on this if it makes things complicated... just thinking it can be nice to have one bass that can be used for everything but i dont want it to loose "balls" for that :)
    i do want a mid control, i will look into those preamps
    what do you thing about nordstrand pickups and pres'?

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    You might consider the NJ5 pickups with a 3b-4A preamp from Nordstrand. I put a similar setup in a 5 string and could get a huge range of tones, including some seriously good metal tones (and that was on a fretless, though it did have roundwounds).

...and you should make an important note about where the pickups are located on each of these guys' basses. Pickup position is just as important as pickup style/brand.

8. erang

erang

Aug 19, 2012
    are those pre's availble for buying? couldnt find it anywhere

i asked norstrand and he recomanded using his big singles but he said it could be noisy,

about pickup positioning, im free to put them where i want, whats the best place ? my bass is 36"

9. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Avail. At the Spector online store under tone circuits.