1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups for custom?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mynameisjack2, Jun 5, 2011.

1. mynameisjack2

mynameisjack2

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Hello, I'm building a bass as my summer project. I pretty much know what I want out of everything but the electronics, so I figured you all would know better than I.

I'm open to pretty much any configuration, the body is going to be shaped somewhat like a Jazzmaster, but I'm not too concerned with style if it sounds great.

I'm looking for clarity, and a pretty flat spectrum. I play in a Jazz Ensemble, Progressive Rock band, and numerous other applications. I use a lot of finger tapping, but also lots of slap, and of course mostly finger picking. I never use picks. My bass is tuned to EADGC, so naturally I need 5 string pickups.

I'm not against purchasing a good preamps if that will help me achieve the tone I want.

Any suggestions are good suggestions. Thanks in advance!

2. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    Try contacting Curtis Novak. He'll make something to your spec. I just put one of his P-bass pickups in my old P, and the sound is phenomenal.

3. tomatmojotone

tomatmojotone

Jun 2, 2011
    Manager Pickup Division Mojo Musical Supply
    If you a building your own bass you should try winding your own pickups also. You can find all the custom parts you need at Mojo.