1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups Too Loud

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tedward, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2006
    southern california
    I have a set of Alumitone 3.5's in one of my basses and they are very loud. I really like the way they sound tone wise and don't want to change them out for a quieter set. I alternate between two basses when we play and I'm frustrated with having to change the volume every time I switch basses. Is there a way I can pad down the pickups in the control cavity with a trim pot? Thought about using a pedal but I don't want more things on the floor. I also thought about putting a preamp in the bass that has a gain control but I'm not ready to start drilling more holes
    in the top. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tedward

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    What about turning the volume pot down on the bass? I have a guitar with some hot TV Jones pickups that I will sometimes play with the volume on 2 or 3. Also works well if you play with overdrive cause it goes from relatively clean to heavy overdrive with a turn of the volume knob.

3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Lower the pickup height.

4. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2006
    southern california
    I have been turning the guitar down but that is what I want to get away from. A lot of times the bass goes through the PA system and I will see the engineer having to readjust the level.

The pickups are as low as they can go with out routing deeper pockets.

Tedward

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Sure you can put a trim pot inside.

saabfender likes this.
  6. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    You want to get away from turning the guitar down? Like always have the volume to 10?

7. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    Unless the engineer is requesting you try to turn down and if your not running into an amp that is clipping then this seems like a non issue. Mixing boards are meant for adjusting gain levels. Worst case is they have to pad the gain. If it sounds good, let the engineer adjust. It’s what they are supposed to do, adjust for low and high levels being sent to the board.

8. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    Spoken like a true guitar player

9. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    You might be better off turning the other bass up to level-match. Run that through a pre or something.

DrColossus68 and Jeff Scott like this.
  10. I had a friend who has an Ibanez, that was the loudest bass in ever played. I have a LTD active that has the output of a passive bass. It just varies from guitar to guitar

11. You could lower the pick ups. I always do that, cause I play decently hard, and it helps me get a cleaner signal.

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    wye tho? I think that, somehow, seeking out a 36 fret neck so that you can have only B, E, and A strings but close enough full fiver range would be a less odd search for adding something so as to remove something else. It's okay though, I've been trying for years to get my bike shop to willingly build me a rear wheel for my road bike around a stupid expensive and not-durable downhill mtb hub because I want only five gears in back and less spoke dish.

I'm sure any tech would be happy to take $30 from you to solder in a loose pre-volume-pot volume pot or take $80 to fab up a lil right angle bracket and properly mount and ground your PVPVP.

saabfender likes this.
  13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Weird that the engineer didn't just use the input pad on his board. Especially weird for that to happen from a passive bass. Is it always the same sound guy this happens with? Does it overdrive your amp in other situations?

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  14. Former Rogues

Former Rogues

Sep 22, 2016
    Oslo
    Get a Boss LS2 pedal. You can toggle two inputs through the same output channel but set the output volume at different levels for the two inputs. Set your two signals to a unity output gain.
    Place it first in the signal chain. Problem solved.

Nashrakh, smogg, TheReceder and 4 others like this.
  15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You should lower the pickup height or/and check the volume knob position.

16. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Adjusting pickup height or passive volume control will change the sound. Those are inadequate solutions to this problem.

Imo your best bet is a pedal like LS2 or Bassbone. If you don’t like it on the floor, put it on the amp and switch it using hands.

smogg and MattZilla like this.
  17. Former Rogues

Former Rogues

Sep 22, 2016
    Oslo
    OP already said the pickups are as low as they can go. Seems the issue is with one set of pickups having a higher output even when lowered in the cavity.
    Again, the Boss LS2 or similar pedal should be the easiest fix, and most convenient when swapping basses through a set.

smogg and sikamikanico like this.
  18. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Measure the resistance of the volume pot of the bass when it's at the right volume. Then solder a resistor in series, equal to the measured value.

Artman likes this.
  19. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Adjust the pickup height(s).

Just make sure that the adjustments you make give you an even string balance across all of the strings (and remember to take your screwdriver with you for the next band rehearsal session!).

20. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Irrc, those pick-ups sound almost micro phonic, tone wise, and will always be kind of hot.