1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piezo pick-up questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krompeer, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hello everyone.
    Once again-please don't mind if I spell wrong.
    I tried to find issues about piezo pick-up mounting but I didn't find answers to my problem.I have a hand made bass with emg p5j pick-ups, and I puted a piezo pick up under its bridge to get high frequencies on slap.When I plug only the piezo it sounds very very thin,no bass at all, but ok that was the goal.Here is the problem-when I connect piezo with standard pick-ups the,piezo sound "merges" with p5j so the overall sound I thick. I wanted to install piezo to add that sound, not to merge with standard pick-ups.
    The second question is-I tried to find best resonance spot on my bass by putting my ear(sounds silly, I know) and I found that nicest tone is on upper "horn"(probably isn't right English term).Then I remembered that I saw few bassist with some kind of knob on that place. Has anyone done this(putting acoustic pick-up on that spot)?
    I'll be very grateful if someone could share knowledge about this
    Thanks

2. anyone?

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Add a blend/balance or separate volume knobs for your regular and piezo pickups?

4. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    You don't want to put a pickup in the horn, it just won't work. I suggest you look at the electronics on your bass for ways to better eq and blend the piezo. Good luck!

5. You'll need to route under the bridge for the wires from the piezo saddles. Not all bridges can have the saddles swapped out. Buffering a piezo to magnetic pickups is a royal pain and should only be done with someone who has a good knowledge of the electronics.

6. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    The knob on the horn is just that. It is usually a blend control for the pickups. A pickup there would not receive enough vibration to provide usable tones. Piezos need to couple directly to the string vibrations hence their placement under the bridge and;

+!

7. I don't know if you can run the outputs of those pickups together. One issue is that many piezo pickups have a different impedence than magnetic pickups. When I play my acoustic-electric bass, between the instrument and the amp I use an ART Tube MP which converts the output of the piezo pickup to an impedence the amp likes much better. This considerably improves the sound.

I think this may be one reason that the posts above refer to this as a job for an expert in electronics.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1.

A buffer/Pre, will fix the weakness.
    One comes to mind, the NOLL electronics Mixpot 1 preamp, plus it gives you a separate control for it.

You're also in luck, Merchants can be found for this contraption in the UK.

MixPot1.

Link:

http://www.noll-electronic.de/sites_e/mixamp_2.html