Pimp My Ride...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Oct 25, 2004.

1. That shows pretty tight...

I descovered it the other day surfing the channels, its crazy! they spend $35,000+++ on crappy old cars to totally pimp 'em out!

One of my friends has an old volvo we stated work on a year ago... that show totally gave me some ideas on what would really pimp it out,
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Problem is I dont think Ive ever seen them do anything to make the car run better. Its all superficial stuff.

Never any engine or transmission work which would really help these people.
  3. hey have done a few cars where they've had no choice baout the engine, but yeh, it's all pimped outside the engine, usually. i think they usually just tweak and do the basic things to the engine.

but then, that IS what is asked of them, and I always thought it was $20k?

it's usually a pretty decent show...
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I really don't think they spend that much on the cars. Think about all the products that are free because they are being used for a TV show.

Yeah, some of the cars look nice, but I would rather be overhauled. Chip Foose and crew really go through the cars with a fine tooth comb. I would deal with all the extra BS of not knowing what happened to my car for the final finished product over Pimp my ride anyday.
  5. c'mon! You get bling rims, mad monitor action and amps galore (and prolly not an alternator upgrade)

Did you see on EBay a couple months back the Datsun/Nissan DJ wagon was up for sale?

I don't think they put any real money into the car, just labor...all the big ticket stuff is either gratis or overstock.

As for overhaulin, yes. The mid-60's nova they did for that whicked hot girl with the cherries painted on the rear quater panels was not only the most tasteful think Foose has done, but man, did I mention that girl was MAD cute?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

They do engine work if it calls for it. They do the basic engine clean up and complete tune up. The show mainly concentrates on the aethestics. Hell, one commercial basically pays for the labor and parts. They ain't working for free. They do get some serious advertising and get work out the wazoo. I would assume that they are so backed up that they'll have work well into the next decade!

West Coast Customs
  7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i think it's ridiculous. bad taste, no style.
  8. Yeah. a fish bowl, in a 120+ interior baking in the sun?

Or a bubble blower, or a coffee maker?

It's all tacky, and certainly all rush jobs. It's just a good ad for a shop that can (hopefully) do much better, classier work.

It was nice that they hooked up that kid with a new scion.
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1... spare me the TV screens, & give me a new engine!!
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ditto, those people get some very nice cars in the end, fixed/built by people with far better taste.
  11. Mike N will agree with me on this one:

It's all about what's UNDER the hood. not what's ON it.

(Unless it's a skantily clad nubile female.:D)

I never liked that show. DVD players, $10000+ paint jobs, floater lights, ugly carpeting, all of it is just for show on a car that's not worth showing. If you want to do a "pimp ride," then do it on something that's WORTH pimpin' like a cobra or a early Camero. Something with balls under the hood.

Rock on
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo going fast looks good.

Tym2cu_bass- Tell your buddy to stick a nice tuned port 383 under the hood of the Volvo. Build the ultimate sleeper. (I've been eyeing a mid 80's 4 door 240DL down the street that would be the perfect mustang killer, especially with the rust, dents and missing hubcaps).
  13. ... he had the engine refinished a year ago... now it rides really good... thats why he is spending the money to pimp it out. So he's doing it right.

But those guys get the parts for free for they kinda "advertise" the products and help to get them out in the world. So they don't spend to much, but what i was talking about was about how much is worth after they are done with it. They also fix the engine if it needs fixing.

Ya, i agree, fix your engine and car stuff first, then pimp it out with some awsome style...

you have to admit, a fish tank in your car would be pretty cooll....
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    ricerockets and other crap like it... how lame...
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Few of the cars on the show are asian built.
  16. I'm pretty good at reverse pimpin' my ride.

The dent in the fender, the pealing side door trim, that gas tank cover that only opens when you yank on the emergency open thing in the trunk, the stereo where ALL the speakers are torn.

But I am going to drop 870 in it for a new stereo, and some new tires soon.

And I need to get some new windshield wipers too...

17. haha, i worked on a 87 240dl wagon today with the 2.3 turbo and a 4 speed. the thing has a huge engine bay and its already set up for the rear(real) wheel drive. I would love to see someone drop something big in there and go dominate the streets...big volvo style. now that is pimp!
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Thats why i edited it right after i submitted it:) you just missed it... its now"rice rockets and crap like it" pimp rides are just as bad... atleast race stickers add horse power... dice in mirror dont:(

want to see a good ricerockets... here... enjoy:

Here is how i roll!

Now thats pimp...

Oh and you dont need asian car to make a rice out of it:) i've seen riced out fords and chevies and chrysler....:D
  19. I'd rather have a real sleeper. Looks like nothing on the outside.... but watch out.
    Freind of mine just worked a subaru wagon. Looks like a mommymobile but it 4wd dynoed at 440 whp 400flbs torque . Pull up to a porche turbo and ba-buy.

Now thats what I'm talking about :D :D :D
  20. Nah, the ultimate sleeper is the original bug. Yank out the crappy 4 it had and shove in the Porche 3.6L You want something that will snap your head back and rip your toupee off? THAT will do it. Plus, the motor mounts all line up, so you don't have to go and change the frame much. Just add an extension for the last 2 bolts.

My friend did that in high school, and could out run anybody. It was too bad when it threw a rod. Plooie!!

Rock on