Pino Palladino

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Owl, Oct 5, 2005.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Well, this Owl got even more curious about one Pino Palladino.

He's DEFINITELY worthy of the high reputation he enjoys, one seriously SMOKIN' fretless player with much to add to any situation he jumps into.

I get the impression he mainly does pop sessions where, God bless him, he gets to inject his unique cutting fretless magic into, but I'm curious as to what people would recommend of his work to listen to and enjoy, stuff that's musically meaty in addition to his great playing.

My first encounter with his playing was on, of all things, a Gary Numan album entitled "I Assasin" (1982 I think). While I'm not what you'd cal a Gary Numan fan, I couldn't help but admire this particular disc, particularly Pino's darting fretless on "We Take Mystery To Bed" (even if the song is an electro-funk variation of "Cars"), Pino just rips it up AND does some cool slapping too, ON FRETLESS? (how is that possible?).

Comments and recommendations here-------
  2. One word:

He has been discussed at great length many times. :)
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks for that helpful link j-raj! Greatly appreciate it, now I have some idea what to hunt down.

RE: The Owl thing.

• I tend to be nocturnal sometimes, fierce and somewhat mysterious :D

• Many of my friends tell me I'm a hoot

• They happen to be my favorite birds, I've always loved their calls echoing through the woods at night
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Cool, thanks for filling me in on that one. Great birds, I have to agree.
  6. Didn't know it was Palladino playing on "We Take Mystery (To Bed)"! Then again, similar sound to Paul Young's "Come Back And Stay"!
  7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Nah we need more Pino threads, when's he discussed like Timmy C is then I'll say do a search but for the time being check out his work with morcheeba, great band great bassist.

He's also just started a tour with John Mayer as a trio search the net to find some vids amazing groove he's got.

Hope this helps
  8. baritones

Oct 5, 2005
    Any of Paul Young's first few albums, Don Henley and D'Angelo's "Voodoo" album. The guy gets around. I play fretless myself and Ive been listening to an old live recording of Live Aid '85 concert of Paul Young. He gets such a great sound especially on "Im Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down". He's using an octave divider. An awsome sound effect on fretless.
  9. He uses the Octaver also on Pete Townshend's "Give Blood" - sounds great!

I had probably already mentioned it before, in a different thread: The bass intro to the movie "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" was played by Pino! At least that's what it says in the movie's credits. I would've never guessed it's him!
  10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Seems like he did session work for some Seal albums as well, didn't he? I agree he has a very distinctive voice, in pop music especially. He plays parts that are very tasteful and melodic, lending some interesting counterpoint without getting in the way of the vocals...