Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pirastro Test Completed (for me!)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by KSB - Ken Smith, Apr 25, 2005.

1. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I just put the last set-type of Pirastros on my Martini to test them. They are the Orig Flex(OFLX) which we have heard are Identical to the Orig Flat Chromes(OFC) except the silk colors. Let me tell you this.... FALSE to my ears and hands. This must be that Liquid insertion I had heard about.. Completly different sounding string that the OFCs. They are all the exact same gauge with the exception of the 'D' string which is .002" thicker on the OFLX.

Now for the results and then the comparisons; These (OFLXs) have a nice fat and powerful bottom as compared to the OFCs and Reg Flexs. The 'G' is the only string I don't like but that was the same problem with the OFCs. I changed them one at a time so I can compare them carefully. The 'G' was better and smoother sounding than the OFC 'G' but was still a little too bright for my ears. The OFC 'G' had the same problem on the Gilkes that it did on the Martini so it's not the Bass. The Best 'G' within the 3-sets tested was the Reg Flex. I have the Reg Flexs on the Gilkes now and the Orig Flexs on the Martini. These OFLXs are softer as well in thumb position than the other 2 sets with the exception of the 'G'. The only problem I had with the Reg Flex set was the 'E' being a little flabby on the Martini but I don't have that problem with the Gilkes.

I tested all 3 of these on the Martini but I didn't test this last set (OFLX) on the Gilkes. I did a Jazz Trio/Quartet Rehearsal yesterday with the Gilkes and the Flexs and it sounded great. No problem with the 'E' there BUT the OFCs were better for Jazz than the Flexs were on that Bass.

Finale..all 3 sets were great for Pizz but the 'E' Flex was a bit Flabby on the Martini (only) and the 'G' from both Orig Sets are a bit out of balance. The OFLX is a bit better than the OFC but the Reg Flex 'G' wins every time with every set on every Bass.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is what I found as well. That is why I said the Original Flexocore E A and D, matched with a Reg. Flexocore G is my fave orchestral combination!

3. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I think you are right. I might use 2 and 2 as a trial as well. I also like the Bowability of the Reg Fleg 'D' a little better but the OFLX is deeper and louder.

4. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    HI all. I just put oflx`s back on my english bass on the g+d. Sounds great ut I'll try the reg flx for the g. Just a suggestion. I was turned on to all thomastiks on my dark sounding bass. It brought out contrast and allowed me to do more than the pirastros did.ie. heard myself over my section and tune easier. But the coup de gras was putting a 210cm solo F# string on the bottom for the extension BUT only tune it to e. thereby keeping the lower tension. It is a miracle string choice for me and my extension sounds awesome. Pirastros will never do it for me again on the bottom. Of course this is only for dark sounding instruments. And you need to get over the 7-14 day breaking period and refrain from scaring your stand partner away.
    Anyway thought you'd like to know.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Doesn't Svein Haugen have a Huge Bass with a Lion head in your Orchestra?.. I think I found it on the web and I rated the Pic last night on some Photo Page website.

Please tell us more about your Bass, it's size and the exact Strings you like.

Which one is you? Double-bass
    Svein Haugen Principal
    Dan Styffe Co-Principal
    Kenneth Ryland Assistant Principal
    Glenn Lewis Gordon Assistant Principal II
    Odd W. Hansen
    Johnny Folde
    Einar Schøyen
    Erling Sunnarvik
    Kjetil Sandum

6. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Hey, I'm Glenn . My bass is a john Devereaux. I bought many years ago. It is 7/8 with a 42 3/8 mensure. I have a fingered gage ext on. I have on right now what I feel is almost a perfect set. Thomastic Reds on the bottom (medium not weich) and a Puprple felexacor on the top two. The G is good but coulfd havemore punch. But it is easy to play on. The bass itself is so easy to play on that I have to creat articulation. It is somewhat too free. But I feel it is an adjustment problem.
    I tried Helicore, couldn't stand them even though I'm from Long Island. My friedn Dean Ferrell a genius in Iceland when It comes to set up / strings turned me on to the long f#. it is a dream . Punchy loud dark and what sustain!!! The first weeks I used them I had to play quiet so my colleagues wouldn't gt jealous. everyone thinks I'm crazy but when they hear the strings on the bass they say What??? How can it be these are jazz strings.
    But of course they are not...Just very special. They don't let me get away with hacking and one need to play absolutely in tune, which is why I wanted them
    Hope this helps.
    as for Svein, he doesn't have a lions head bass but some of the others do on the Pøllman basses.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    It must be someone else then from Oslo or maybe somewhere else that I read on the net. I will look for the link tonight and post from home where it is on my other computer.

How did you go from NY to Oslo?.. Do you speak the language well?.. By the way, I have seen pics of two Devereaux Basses from Kolstein but one was made in Aussie land after he fled England. Is yours the other one from Barrie? Devereaux Basses are massive and awesome from what I have seen. He worked for awhile for Fendt.

Have you tried the Blue Orig. Flexs on your current Bass yet? Also, what strings do your section mates prefer for a 5-string Bass with Low 'B' for orchestra work? I will soon test G and D Flex and A, E, and B Permanents on a Bass I am having converted to a 5-string. It wont be ready until sommer time so I am asking now to learn in advance.

How about some pics of your Bass and other fine Basses from your section?

8. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    I play on the english made Dev from Kolstein. Mine is quite different. The blue flex are these the ones I think are purple? The others being maroon?
    In this section there is a mix of strings but by and large flex normal. They use thomastik on the B string. And one of us uses hellicore.
    Iæll try to get some photos . I had some by Duane Rosengard some years ago but I never got copies.
    I came here in 94 via Spain. I was fresh out of school and got tired of gigging. The jobs picked me. I never thougth I'd end up here. But it is my home now. I'm in the process of trying to make a move back to the USA thoug. Miss it lots. They can't make a decent pizza here to save their lives...
    I do want to try the Permanent, I'll do it soon I hope.

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
  10. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of the things I miss most about London is the Indian Food :p

11. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    sorry about the color mix up. I have live here so long I forget the colors, it's so dark here...