1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plain Gut A,D & G ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ERIC A, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

I am currently using a Larson plain A and Lenzner D & G gut strings. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good match for the E string, other than a plain or wrapped E. I am not looking for a dead E. I would like something with good definition, and some sustain, but I don't want a huge contrast. The plain guts are working for me now because I am dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Tendonitis and Bursitis. They are definitely easier on the hands. So, doing a 4 hour gig is not really causing me any problems. Though I am not sure that they are working that well on tunes like "Dolphin Dance":eyebrow: .

2. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    You might try a Thomastik Superflexible solo F# tuned down to an E. The tension and tone should be a pretty good match with the guts. A friend of mine was struggling with tendonitis and was playing Superflexible solos for G,D, and A.

Amazingly enough he used a Superflexible orchestra A for his E string. Very low tension and not much volume on that string, but at least he was able to continue playing.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The Anima E would probably match. Maybe even the Garbo (but I haven't tried that yet).

4. Chris Rhoades

Chris Rhoades

Sep 19, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Endorcing Artist:BNA Audio, Boothill bass strings.
    I use a Rotosound E with my Plain gut set as of now. It is very dark and sound is similar.

5. You might consider an Innovation Super Silver.

I'm playing pure gut D&G Labella 980, and Super Silvers on E&A.

They match incredibly well. Tension and sound.

The E is nice.

;)