1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Planning and design for a first build...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JanVanHove, Apr 27, 2009.

1. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Founder, Jan Van Hove Basses
    Hi guys, newbie here...
    I'm just getting started on the instrument building thing...

For now I have only designs of two possible body shapes, in single and double cut versions... they are whown here in NT versions, but I put them together with BO in mind as well...

JVH-basses-mark-I.

I'd be happy to hear any feedback you guys can give me on these ideas...

2. shootermcgavin1

shootermcgavin1

Jan 14, 2009
    perth
    i think the right side of your design(like the 6th string side) comes up way too high ... allthough full points for originality at least it looks a bit different ya know

3. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks! originality is one of the things I'm aiming for! :)

The right side, you mean on the singlecuts (between 11th and 12th fret) or the doublecuts (between 16th and 17th)?

*edit for lack of coffee*
    Damn Monday morning, by the right side you of course mean the other side, which is at the 22nd fret? You feel that the cut should be deeper? Going all the way to the 24th?

4. bhie_alka

bhie_alka

Mar 30, 2009
    Bogor-Indonesia
    hmm... i like the color,,,
    i like the second basses (from left).. :hyper:
    ^^

5. I do not really dig your design, but that's a matter of taste, but I noticed that the positions of your tuners are somewhat problematic. You should try to let the strings run straight to the tuner, so your tuners are placed gradually more to the center line. The way you layed them out, will cause the strings to also touch the tuner below the one it's heading for..

6. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    I'll do some proper plans and the designs are probably going to get tweaked with that in mind, robert... ;)

7. Well, after looking at your design again, I think the second one has some potential. If you make the lines more fluid and curve the upper horn in an inward motion instead of pointing away from the body.

Also, the headstock is relatively large and might cause neck dive, so you might want to scale it down somewhat.

8. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Well, I've done a 4-string version of the doublecut Ulu, with a deeper cut (24th fret) and a slightly modified body...

I'm not convinced entirely yet, but it's getting somewhere...

ulu-plan-4.

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    agreed about the head. 1st and second are pretty cool. you might want to try the fist one, but have the upper "non-cutaway) more like the third. Also, it appears this will be neck-through. just a heads up, you want to have the taper run the entire length of the neck and body core. it appears you have it planed so that the body section is straight, with it tappering once it is only the neck, witch ultimately results in you loosing your sanity. I know from experience. btw, i don't miss it :)ninja:my sanity:ninja:).

10. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks for the heads up, Jordan! Why does having the neck-trough section straight constitutes a problem for sanity? (I've lose mine ages ago, so it's not really a problem for me, but I'd just like to know...)

11. Yeah.. liking this one better! Keep on improving :smug:. Let it rest and look back after a few days. If it still feels good: go for it!

12. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    My next design step is to tweak the headstock and produce 4, 5, 6, and 8-string versions of it, to see if it holds up... for now it looks fine in 4-string, I think...

13. Why do you want to make all the different versions? Are planning mass production for your first build :D??

14. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    well, ultimately I want to do production, yes...

Of course the prototype will tell me a lot of things that are wrong with my design, but I want to have something solid to begin with... Oh and I do have a thing for multiple-course instruments (that 8 would be a 4x2), so that would be something I'd like to do for a not-to-distant-future build...

15. That's a nice goal! I wish you all the luck you need with this! You've found a nice forum to support your first build. It helped me a lot (I am not finished with my first build, but almost at the assembly stage).

By the way.. ben je Nederlands sprekend ou parlez-vous Fran├žais?

:)

16. rockerjeff

rockerjeff

Apr 25, 2009
    Cupertino
    General Manager, Halo Custom Guitars, Inc.
    I love the headstock! Be careful that the tuning keys are easily accessible because the E and G string tuners look cramped next to the points of the headstock.

17. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Robert, I'm actually Canadian, so french and english speaking. My family on my father's side is flemish, though, and my kids go to a dutch school, so my dutch is actually improving a bit... (but not as fast as my 2 year old daughter's...)

Jeff, thanks for the warning, i did see that, yes, and that's why I want to get my headstock design more precise to make sure that it's usable...

18. Ah.. that explains, I thought, let's check out if there's another Dutch speaking member on TB.. but I didn't expect you to be Canadian :smug:.

19. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Here it is: headstock design for 4, 5 and 6-strings...

JVH-headstock-4-5-6.

I shortened the side points so they didn't get in the way of the tuners as much...
    As you see there in room in the middle for a string retainer if I go with a flat headstock instead of an angled one...

Now I'll have to try an 8-string one, but I think I'll need a change of strategy or a wider headstock in relation to the nut...

20. rockerjeff

rockerjeff

Apr 25, 2009
    Cupertino
    General Manager, Halo Custom Guitars, Inc.
    Lookin good!

I don't actually build instruments myself, but the book I am reading about guitar building by Tom Hirst suggests to go with the flat headstock instead of an angled one if it's the first instrument you're building. Tom says it's better to build a well-playing instrument than risk the chance of error with the angled back headstock. Personally, I like the angled back headstock though!