Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

planning/coordinating an event?!?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by daofktr, Jun 24, 2005.

1. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    long one here...my apologies.
    (i used the search function, to no avail)

okay, here's the deal:

my songwriter has the bright idea to have a daylong mini-festival, with many local bands (as many as 12), playing into the night. purpose: to make money for the studio, to network with other bands and to prove that original music is a good thing.

we're just starting out researching potential venues, sponsors, etc, with the credo: less is more.
    having said that, i've already made a list of issues that i hit him with via email...

-venue: where? how much?????
    -food/drink concessions: what kind, what permits, what facilities needed for local specs
    -alcohol: how to/whether to, ie, sell it there, or allow walkin: glass allowed?
    -bathrooms: cost and supplies
    -trash management, during and after
    -security: crowd, artists and equipment, police...police do bill for details!
    -tech: equipment, sound, staging, lights, ELECTRICITY AVAILABILITY/cost...generators for lights?
    -how many tix@what price for breakeven: raffle stuff? think sponsorship/band merch
    -merch tents, both for band stuff and outside vendors: table fee? (outside vendor only)
    -how many bands?
    -length of sets
    -parking
    -liability insurance/permits/licenses/clearances/waivers/bonding: what's necessary? lead time/processing times?
    -promotion: radio/print media/web/word of mouth
    -sponsors: the more the better!
    -recording: taping area? record for promo cd?
    -radio feed?
    -camping
    -roads...how easy is it to get there and back for most folks?
    -piss-offable neighbors, re: noise level, altered audience
    -time slot for event...what will it be clashing with, re: other concerts in the tristate: do we care? should we?
    -medical: onsite medicos do bill! what do the local ordinances require?
    -dealing with crashers
    -how to split proceeds with bands
    -go/no go date?
    -weather: if storms, hail, tornado, emergency protocol/contingency plan? emergency shelters?
    -fire marshall: must call when venue is set to be in compliance: fire control is essential. think 'great white'
    -if outside, boundaries. re: fences?
    -OUT OF POCKET COSTS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

do any of you have experience with doing this? i have more questions than answers, and i'm sure i've only scratched the surface.

are we stupid for even wanting to try? from what i came up with, even if we get buttloads of sponsors, it will take a miracle to 1) survive, 2) make a profit, 3) not kill each other.
    i think that smaller would be better, instead of trying for another bonnaroo. it would also keep the snafu factor down, but...is it possible to do something along these lines that could, possibly, actually turn a profit for us?

thoughts? suggestions? flames? i'll take it all.

thank you ahead of time!
    :)

2. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Having played, worked, and been friends with the organizers of a lot of Jamband festivals it is a HUGE undertaking. I also wouldn't look to make alot of $$ unless yo know you can secure bands with a large draw to make the other expenses (as well as the bands expenses) worth while.

Assuming that you want it outside I would recommend trying to find a venue/location that already has a lot of what you're looking for. Another option to start with would be doing it at an inside venue that already has concessions/bathrooms/stage/sound/etc.

I would recommend contacting other festival organizers and trying to get hints and contacts from them as they will be able to provide the most reliable information.

Also, if at all possible present it under a corporation or LLC so that if S*** hits the fan (aka deaths at Bonaroo) they can't sue you personally and can only sue the company that presented it. but check with a lawer about this for sure.

One option would be if you have a friend or aquatance with a lot of private land it would same some hassles with permits, licenses, etc. as long as you worked out how to spin it right (aka. not selling beer, but selling the cup for the free beer).

3. start VERY EARLY. if you want it to do well, then it will. you seem to know exactly what to do, you just need to do it. im working on the finishing touches with a show i put together each year in july, we have 14 bands playing all to raise money for the american cancer society. i live in a crappy little town in wisconsin, and last year i was able to raise just under $1,500 in just a few hours. thats pretty impressive for being only 17 at the time haha its really not as hard as you might think to get people to come and spend money at your event, the hardest part is getting the bands playing organized and the sponsors in line. most people will help out if you just ask, ive never had anybody say no to me when i ask for help. if youve never done it before, then you just gotta go for it. it makes it much easier other times around. plus if your in charge, you can make other people do work. ask other people to do small things to help, and theyll be glad too, and soon youll realize youve got 20 people helping you out, and you only have to make phone calls. let me know how things work out if you get this show workin.

4. Its a heck of a lot of work. You will definitely need legal advice, council input and some people who have worked in this area before.

The licensing issues surrounding alcohol provision could prove to be a major stumbling block (if your laws are anything like ours). NO GLASS!

Security is a must - hire a very reputable firm.

At least double the amount of female toilets you think you will need.

Be very aware of Public Liability - and have the insurance to cover it. This can be monstrously expensive.

As previously stated, get a group of people onboard tg help out. You simply cannot do it all yourself. Assign people to the various areas of organisation needed. Someone to organise the vendors, someone to look after catering, someone to set up the bands and the production, ticketing and promotions manager, security and amenities etc. If you can assign these duties to another person, they can assemble their team to look after each area.

One or two of you should act as general event manager - overseeing the work of sub-managers assigned to each area.

Start planning a long way out - make sure that every detail has been crossed off the list before the event, and then expect to be hit with issues you hadn't expected on the day.

Best of luck, mate, let us know how it all goes. It sounds very exciting :D

5. daofktr

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    thank you, all!
    gonna print out/forward all yer advice to my bandmates and see how the thought processes are going on this.
    i think i have the frontman almost sold on a 'smaller=better' mindset. :D
    but it will take time for this to unfold, so i will update when there are developments...good and bad...hopefully not too much bad.

VEGEMITE FOR ALL!

dixon

6. daofktr

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    it looks like the frontman saw wisdom after talking to his dad, who has lots of experience doing related stuff. we're not gonna even try, since 1) we want to make money, and 2) the sheer work level involved to make something like this not suck.
    (of course, his dad said what i said to him, but he listened to his dad...lol)

thanks, y'all, for your advice!
    dixon

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    You might want to see if there is a local venue that is big enough for your needs. A guy I know had a festival from 11:00 AM-11:00 PM a couple weeks ago at a local venue. I don't know what they charged him for an all day thing, but their regular rate for renting is $165 a night.

8. daofktr

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    that ain't bad a tall.
    lemme see what the frontman is thinking next week...lol.
    i'm sure it will change.