Play bass with marshall DSL15C?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Taychin, May 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Taychin

Taychin Commercial User

May 3, 2020
    Hi guys, I have my marshall DSL15C, will there be any problem? Will it sound good?
    DSL15C (2012)

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I would not recommend a 15 watt guitar combo for bass. If you want to do QUIET volume testing of a bass guitar, you are probably OK, but any louder than that and the low end content from the bass will likely destroy the speaker. If you wanted to use it for headphone use only, that should work OK.

3. Taychin

Taychin Commercial User

May 3, 2020
    Thx. How many watt will enough for bass?

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    That's entirely subjective. However, what are you looking to accomplish here? Do one of these fit:

1. Play with a band
    (How many members? Genre? Drummer uses dynamics?, guitarists have half-stacks?)
    2. Play by yourself, at your house, and with volume
    3. Practice quietly with headphones

Let us know what your end goal is and we can help further.

5. Taychin

Taychin Commercial User

May 3, 2020
    I gonna play by myself at home with volume
    (I have the krk rokit 5 gen4 can i use it to practice or I need to buy more amp bass?)
    KRK SYSTEMS - ROKIT 5 G4 Professional Bi-amp Studio Monitors Speaker

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The Marshall is a guitar amplifier with an open back. These typically don't sound good for bass.
    The KRK's are monitors made for recording playback. You cannot connect them directly to your bass, but you could connect them to your audio interface (mixer, etc) and plug your bass into the interface. Make sure that they interface is made for direct instrument connections. Such a setup might be okay for low volume practice and recording.
    If you need more volume you should look into buying an actual bass amp.

7. Taychin

Taychin Commercial User

May 3, 2020
    Thank for the advice.
    This is my setup

Attached Files:

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    That looks like a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. Both input channels have what are called combo jacks, meaning you can plug in either an XLR cable for a microphone or a 1/4" cable to an instrument. Just to the right and below the input jack is an indicator light showing the selection between MIC or INST. You need to set the input to INST in Focusrite Control.

Pages 12-13 explain how to hook it up and set it correctly in software.
    https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.com/customer/prod/s3fs-public/downloads/Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen User Guide_EN.pdf

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I agree this isnt an awesome plan.

The amp portion is safe. The speaker is not exactly safe, but with really low volume and some cutting of the bass frequencies will survive.

The cons outweigh the pros, basically. Really low power, open back design, guitar speaker, eq or tone controls designed for guitar use.

Few positives. All tube (? I think, right?) Small, light, fx loop(?)

I think in general this is an all around "pass" as even a quiet solo practice amp for bass. Setting it to keep the driver safe will really take away from enjoyable tone.

10. Forget the amp, go with the interface and monitors.

LoTone, ThinCrappyTone and basscooker like this.
  11. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    You can obviously afford decent stuff. You can buy a legit small bass amp on Craigslist for under $100, maybe even under 50. No reason to use a guitar amp.

12. I play my bass through a 30 watt line 6 guitar amp with a sansamp bass driver D.I as my preamp and it sounds quite good, plenty of low end and the amp hasnt failed me yet, I would say go for it, but be careful of playing to loudly.

13. stupid autocorrect, *too

14. I would recommend a Fender Rumble v3 15 or v3 25 practice amp. You can plug headphones into it so you won't bother anyone. They both retail for under $100USD. Good luck. :thumbsup:

15. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Go with the interface, the monitors or the headphones. Nice thing with the headphones, you can use virtual amps and crank up.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021