1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Play Bass With the Beatles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thegummy, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thegummy

thegummy

Dec 9, 2015
    This is a book available which has written bass parts and a CD with backing tracks to play along with.

Does anyone know if the bass parts in the book are note-for-note transcripts of McCartney's actual bass lines or have they been written specifically for the book as lines that fit with Beatles songs?

2. You may have better luck putting this in another section. General instruction or tablature maybe?

FranF likes this.
  3. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    "The Beatles: Complete Scores" published by Hal Leonard is still, I think, the best source for note-for-note, although I found that occasionally the fingerings in the tabs weren't always the easiest way to do it, and thus suspect as far as "actual" (how could they know anyway?). And there are a few lyrics in there that are not right, probably because English isn't the Japanese authors' native language. Otherwise, it's a monumentally great reference work.

old spice likes this.
  4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    I found The Beatles: Complete Scores rife with errors. I don't know about the tab, but the notated bass parts are off on many tunes. Lovely Rita is largely wrong. I got a corrected one online with the guy supplying a slowed down isolated bass track along with the notation and damned if he didn't do his homework. Something, the George Harrison number is not the one to learn. Somebody here at Talkbass actually did a very accurate notating job of that one whereas the Hal Leonard Complete Scores botched it. There are quite a few others. There are also many that are pretty well spot on. I got a very nice used copy of "Complete" on Ebay a couple years ago for $22 dolars and I use it and am not sorry I have it. I don't think I'd feel that way though if I'd paid $85-100

6. thegummy

thegummy

Dec 9, 2015
    Thanks for all the replies, appreciate them a lot.

It's a shame to hear there's a lot of errors in the Complete Scores. Makes me think there could be perhaps even more in the "Play With" book.

Errors would actually be a big turn-off for me since I don't particularly want to play along with the Beatles; I was going to get it to "study" the bass lines of McCartney.

Maybe it would be worth getting it if I can find it for a decent price then I can judge by ear if they sound right before bothering to analyse anything.