Play New Year's Eve for regular Bar Pay, or No?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 51PRI, Oct 4, 2022.

1. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    We have had an offer for two gigs at a place we used to play a few years ago. It's a restaurant/bar that used to have bands every week but stopped for a few years for various reasons. We know and like the owner. One of the dates is New Years Eve but he, supposedly, according to the BL, can't pay typical or even elevated, but normal for NYE, pay. So, play NYE for regular bar rates? Take the gig or No?

Hummergeist and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  2. Me personally?

Never.

3. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    [​IMG]

retslock, icefly, bassbooty and 9 others like this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Would your band get another NYE gig?

My band? Nope, nope, nope. We've had a standing gig for the last 11 years (minus 2020) at the same place. Great bar, great crowd, great pay, and bi-monthly gigs plus more high profile stuff throughout the year like St. Patrick's Day, St. Patrick's Day parade day, etc.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

what are the alternatives --- for you, personally?

6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    My first question is do you trust your BL?
    Next, do you believe the venue owner? Don't know how it works in your part of the world, but here in Dublin, pretty much every bar/restaurant/venue charges a bit extra for admittance on NYE. Is this guy doing that? If so, he should be paying you more.

Of course other factors may influence this...how much you actually want to gig that night, can you get a better offer elsewhere, does playing for minimum guarantee you regular gigs down the line?

Personally, I detest New Years Eve, and prefer to spend it at home with my wife, and a bottle of whiskey.
    But that's just me...

pcake, krimo, Tony In Philly and 16 others like this.
  7. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Ha, no.

tekhedd and smogg like this.
  8. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Years ago I played a NYE gig for big money. We had the bartender dancing, but he was the only person in the bar besides us. I too would rather be at home with some long time friends. We used to drink a lot, but now it’s a beer or a glass of wine each. Dang, I’m getting old. :(

timmus, mb94952, juancaminos and 3 others like this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    What do the other guys think?

pcake and MrMeadows1969 like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    NYE is 100% lame to go out. So what else would you do? Playing is better than not. But push for higher rate. It’s probably expanded set list. You probably have additional expenses for clothes. And you probably have to play Auld Lang Syne which is the Wagon Wheel of NYE, that merits combat pay.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Depends on how well you know the owner and if this good will leads to other gigs. Me? No.

MrMeadows1969 and PauFerro like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Nope.

smogg, NigelD and KenD like this.
  13. Depends on whether you think you can get a gig somewhere else for better pay, or you want to play that night at all...

14. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    #1 premium night = premium pay, otherwise I'd rather spend the night with family or friends...if it is a decent bar/event, it will be packed to the max. allowed by law and probably a bit more if they can sell enough tickets and get away with it. They will be making mucho dinero in tix/food/drink sales. If your band is good and keeps the crowd happy and thirsty, you deserve way more than a Sat. night's base pay

Johnny Crab, getrhythm, eSam and 4 others like this.
  15. KenD

KenD Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    Nothing about NYE is ever at "base rates" so why should your pay be? I would rather sit it out at home with friends than participate in the race to the bottom.

16. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    No.

Jimmy4string, garp and smogg like this.
  17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    No.

Good Luck!

smogg likes this.
  18. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal and PNW
    NYE is the highest paying night of the year. It's also the most work. It also poses the most risk given everyone else on the road when the band is driving home is plastered. It's your time: decide.

19. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    You say....
    Normal NYE pay rates are generally around three to four times the usual weekend band rate in my pay of the world.
    Is this what your BL meant, or just the normal weekend rate to play NYE?

Crater likes this.
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Only matters what you think. Personally, a hard no

tekhedd likes this.