1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Played a Stu Hamm Urge II today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marwady, Apr 25, 2009.

1. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    I stopped by one of my favorite shops today, Motor City Guitar in Waterford, MI. It is a ways from my home so I don't get there that often.

They have, by far, the most bass inventory in the State of Michigan so, if you get to the metro Detroit vicinity, you need to stop and take a look.

They had a used Urge II bass (black w/tort guard). This is the first time I have seen one live so I tried it out. I has a few nicks and some rash, a missing volume knob, but overall, in pretty nice shape.

I have heard mixed reviews here but I really liked it for the most part. The neck felt mostly like a Jazz with a bit more beef. Tonaly, it had nice punch and growl and some serious low end when the neck pup was favored. Also, I liked the various options with the three pups.

Still, I would like to audition it in a mix before I would buy one.

Looks like it was strung w/Chromes, which I like alot.

Asking price was $999.00. Probably would have found a way to snag it if it wasn't black....just not my thing.

2. My favorite shop, also. I saw the Stu Hamm when I was there a few weeks ago, but didn't try it.

The only problem with MCG is that anything really GOOD doesn't hang around, they have a lot of traffic. Finding MIM or MIA Standard Fenders is usually next to impossible unless it's one of the less popular colors....or you happen to be there right after it comes in.

3. Owned an Urge I for several years. Always wanted to try the II.

4. marwady

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
  5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Nice score, your bass family just gets bigger! A Roscoe Beck and a Stu Hamm, the 2 Fender sig basses that are the most individual, how do they compare I wonder?

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Killer snag! Although I *love* the Red Sparkle Metallic that Fender introduced a few years back with the "Mark II" of the Urge II line, I'd certainly never turn down a black model if I found a good deal on one like you did. I'm pretty much as far from a P-bass guy as you can get, but if I had to get one as a requirement for a gig, the Urge II would be that bass to skirt that as much as possible. :smug: And the black/tort combination is one of the few basses I like tort pickguards on as well. Now just slap on a Gotoh 201 on the bass (I'm not at all a fan of Fender's "Bent Metal" standard bridges, and the Gotoh is a nice bridge with some extra mass that is a direct drop-in for a very reasonable price) and you're already set up with the Hipshot Bass Xtender (my two upgrades for most basses) and you'll be set. Congratulations on the purchase, and looking forward to pictures and a hands-on review!

7. What do you think of the Urge I? This is what I have at the moment, I'm loving it so far and it really felt like the one best suited for me when I tried it out, but I haven't heard any advice from other musicians.
    Also, is there anything radically different from the II besides the drop-d tuner?

And congratulations marwady, I'm looking forward to the review as well :)
    -Gab

8. It was a great little bass. They play nice, but I could never get it to play like my Peavey Cirrus and other various boutique basses, not that it was bad action.

I enjoyed the sound, although the pre-amp was a little hard to handle. Since purchasing it, I had kinda moved towards 3 and 4 band EQ basses.

9. marwady

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    As they say "no pix, no bass", so here are a few:

P1050571.

P1050573.

P1050575.

All in all, a pretty nice instrument.

I put some Fender flats on and it really voices nicely. Lots of tonal variations from the 3 pups and the pre is very musical.

The neck is a nice suprise, kind of a Jazz bass feel with a bit more "hair". Not even close to a P profile but more than the Jazz.

I need to audition it in some more of my mixes but I like what I'm hearing so far.......

Cheers

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Real nice score dude, would love to try one out. :cool:

11. woah! awesomeness man awesomesness
    congrats! :D

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Don't know what year the first Urge was manufactured,
    but I modded my '75 P bass in '80

fenderfront.

Duncan QuarterPounders, Stack vol/tone, BAII & brass nut.
    We are both semi retired.

13. burta

burta

May 15, 2009
    I have been a fan of Stu's for sometime and have owned a variety of different basses. Last year I bought the Urge II, now the rest collect dust on their cases

Rather than pics, heres some sounds off the desk:

http://www.indabamusic.com/people/burta

I can not thank Stu and Fender enough for making the Urge series. Thanks to the onboard EQ and great tone, live playing and recording setups get a lot simpler Smile

I struggled for years to get the tone I was looking for, and I saw Stu play the Urge II at a demo in Canberra. Bought one the next week :)