Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

played a wal today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greg, Oct 15, 2005.

1. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    So today i walked into bass emporium before my lesson at 1:30 when i spotted this.....http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=WALMARKI4
    i've never seen one up close or played one..so i checked it out. Cool bass, pretty comfortable neck, really cool looking also. The olive ash top looks much much better in person. It sounded really great and is really versatile. Couldn't really figure out the controls besides volume though. Not really my kind of bass but pretty kickass nonetheless.

2. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    $3200 used for a bolt on?

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Wal's don't show up for sale very often and the very few I've seen recently are in this ballpark.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    If that bass had a giant pickguard, it'd be pretty awesome. I dig the shape a lot.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I take it you only think neck-throughs are worth that kind of cash?

6. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I think $3200 for a used bolt on is a little high, yes, even if it is a Wal. And both of my basses are bolt ons. Bolt on instruments are cheaper a,d much easier to produce than neck throughs. I am somewhat astounded that new jazz style basses can cost $3000+ these days. That being said, I would love a Lakland JO and a Sadowsky. And that Wal looks sweet.

I am also amazed at the resale value of some fine boutique basses. They seem to drop $1000 right off the bat. That's worse than the loss on a new car when you drive it off the lot, percentage wise.

I also think the vintage market for '70's era Fenders is ridiculous.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    What? Why? Eww!

8. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    good thing you don't want a Wal huh? :smug:

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    That's so hot, the Mark 1 is my favourite Wal shape.

Too bad this is shaping up to be the weekly "bolt ons are cheap, easy to make and worth no more than X" thread.

10. Yep, and at that price you can be sure that an olive ash MkI will disappear very quickly. Thanks for the heads up. I wish I had that kind spare cash or it would be gone.

11. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    ... and one has to keep in mind that Pete will no longer exept orders due to his bad health. He does not agree to an Walbass owners buyout or even let them help him with some things not directly involved in the bassmaking.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hey oddio can you explain a little to us how do the wal tone controls work????

13. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I remember looking back at some of my old Bassist (the UK one) magazine from 1999-2000. There were always second hand Wals in the classifieds section. The prices back then were stupidly low. I remember early '80s models going for 450 pounds and some guys ash body flame maple top five string going for about 800 pounds. I could have kicked myself that I didn't investigate further. Mind you, I suppose that they will always be a bit cheaper in the UK

14. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Kind of like these? :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Can't you get a brand new WAL (if Pete were taking orders) for about $3,300 or more (depending) That seems a bit steep... although I'd glady drop the cash if I had it.

BTW theres a Mk III on ebay now , after 7 bids it a $3,500 US.

16. I'm sure that Wal's are great basses. Never played one, though. And to be honest, I think they're a bit unattractive. Not fugly, just not my thing.

Of course, my opinion's worth absolutely nada :)

17. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    It was 1981 I was Stationed in England at RAF Alconbury, Im Watching the Old Grey Whistle Test and The band Japan comes on.
    Im Watching this Guy(Mick Karn) play these wonderful fretless lines with a Wal....what a wonderful looking bass!!!!!!

I got the oppertunity 2 weeks latter to play a used one in a store in Cambridge...OMG It was a dream.

comfortable, Deep sound, while still having the high end I like. it was £450 wich in american at the time was over a thousand dollars, The Air force Did not pay me that well so I Never bought it I wish I would have scrimped on things and got it.

By the way Im one of those who wishes Geddy never went back to a Jazz bass, I loved his Wal playing more.

18. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Didn't Wal make a model called pro-bass? Would they do me a signature semipro-bass;)

Btw, how much do new Wals cost?

19. I think $3000 and up. Not very expensive compared to some other "custom" manufactures.

20. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm in love with these basses, and the thought I'll never have one...well...it just hurts. :scowl: