1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

played several Ampegs today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghostjs, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    I wish i knew how amazing they sounded earlier! ive heard many tracks with them being played and all, but never have i bothered to try one myself. i played an SVT-4 pro, SVT450 and SVT CL on a 810E cab and i was blown away (literally)!!

after playing them, i'm really set on going for a SVT450H and a matching 810.

anyone else have this raving revelation? this epic epiphany? this errr... awesome experience?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I wouldn't get the SVT450H. They're known to have problems and be less than stellar amps. That said, I love the CL, Pro 4, and Pro 2.

3. SVT-VR is the way to go.

I just can't forgive myself for selling it...

:(

4. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    really? ive never heard of it having so many problems. maybe here and there, but not massive... and also i wouldnt mind getting a nicer one, but i'm on a budget, heheh

5. I really liked my SVT350 back when I had it (predecessor of the 450). For a fully solid state amp, it could really get some serious growl through an 810 cab.

I replaced it with an SVT5pro for more power and could never quite get the same tone back after.

That said, even back then, my 350 had to make a couple trips to the local amp doctor for some minor issues with the pre-amp side.
    I'd almost suggest leaning towards an SVT3 if you can get one. Generally more reliable, similar sound.

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Ive heard a number of folks bash the 450H.. and I just dont get it!!!.. Ive had 2 of em, both were american made SLM version so the quality was top shelf, and quite honestly I regret selling either one. The only reason I did was that I play in a pretty darn loud stoner rock band and they were kinda just at the edge of their limit to compete with the rest of the band (especially on outdoor gigs).. but the tone was absolutely superb for a solid state head.. I liked it more than my 3pro, the 6pro by miles, and frankly more than most amps Ive had and check my gear list to see how many that is..
    My advice, pick up a US version used and smile for days!
    and yeah.. the 3pro is just as good but doesnt have the same 'quickness' to me.

7. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ive played ampegs for several years. I love my SVT VR, SVT CL, and my 810e cabinet. Best sounding amps I ever played, and ive played them all

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    A tip for you in the future, getting two 4x10's might be the better choice. I was okay with an 810E and a Genz Benz 610 when I drove a GMC Jimmy but now that I drive a sedan and can't move either, I'm ready to trade them off for smaller cabs. They've got that mojo, but two 4x10's is still 8x10's. (Plus it's taller!)

9. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    I love my SVT IIpro! Nasty, nasty tone...it's the sound I've heard my whole life when I thought of crushing bass tone:)