1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing with a drummer? How does it work?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The_Orlonater, Jan 27, 2008.

1. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    Excuse me for my noobishness ,but I was just wondering what you guys do to play along with your drummers. I have never before in my life played with a drummer or to a drum machine, so I just don't understand it. All styles of music available, but what itches me a lot is Death Metal drumming. The fast double beats and all the blast beats.
    Anyway I would like some understanding to playing with a drummer, how does it compare that of a metronome?
    :help:

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    No difference except the drummer has more attitude and can't keep time as well.

3. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Just gotta feel it.

4. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    IMO and IME the bass player is the rythm for a band. You keep the drummer, guitar player(s), and whoever else on point. I've heard this tons of time from people on Talkbass and my teachers but I never really thought much of it until I really got to playing in a band. I noticed that when I tried to be creative and messed things up a bit, the entire band would lose themselves until I got back on point.

To me, a metronome is a tool that is used for practicing and perfecting your playing alone.

If you're about to start playing in a band, I can give you two points of advice that really seemed to help me:
    One: Always feel the groove of the music... Sounds simple but in time you'll start to relize what to do.
    Two: Don't just focus on you. Focus on everything thats going on in the song. Focus 1/4 on the rythm instruments (drummers, paino ect) 1/4 on the chord instruments (guitars) 1/4 on the vocalists, and 1/4 on yourself.

Remember to have fun with it and you'll do great!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021