Please don't use my photo.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Axtman, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I was let go from a four piece band a few months ago. Since then the band leader has been using an old band photo to advertise upcoming gigs. The old photo even has a picture of the guitar player that is no longer with the band. I did not mention anything initially because I figured it would take them some time to reshoot the band photo. But after 3 months I think I should mention something politely and ask them to not use me in any future advertising. If they want to have old pictures on their website of past gigs with me in it, that is cool because it is history.

Have you ever run into a similiar situation?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A polite request to leave your image out is always appropriate.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There are lots of threads on the subject. I'm actually kind of surprised how often it comes up. (That was not intended as a snarky "do a search" post.)

Yes, you are well within your rights and social norms to ask that your image no longer be used to advertise the band.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You can ask, but what are you going to do if they refuse?

5. Send them a bill.
    Have a lawyer send them a bill.

Yonni, nice_hat, smogg and 7 others like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For what? No lawyer will send a bill unless you pay them to write it. I see no cause of action, and likely no damages, even if there was one.

7. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, OR
    If you had left amicably and voluntarily I would say just ignore it. But you said you were 'let go', in which case, I would ask them to stop. If they refuse your request I would find some subtle ways to get back at them.

inthevelvet and juancaminos like this.
  8. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There really isn't much I can do other than to ask them to not use that photo. A while back some of the guitar player's friends came to see him not knowing he was no longer in the band yet seeing him in the publicity photo. Ooops.

LowActionHero and Charlzm like this.
  9. There's the rub.

I'm a band manager. It's time-consuming and expensive. I'm the one paying for these pictures, and sometimes my personal band fund is a little depleted.

I understand wanting to get your face off of the band's on-line presence a.s.a.p., especially if it was a bad break up, but let's deal with some realities here. The band wants to continue and present as a band. You were the last bass player. Give them a break. It doesn't need to be punitive or vindictive. I'm sure as soon as they work in a new member and have the time/effort/money for new pics, they will.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  10. Strong with this one, the Dark Side is.

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY

It's been 3 mos. They are gigging. The guitar player in the photo isn't in the band either. He left before the OP

How much slack do you cut them?

inthevelvet, smogg, Charlzm and 7 others like this.
  12. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I should start a new band with the guitar player that go let go and use the same band publicity photos with the other members of the band. Two bands; one photo.

13. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Two, two, two bands in one....

EatS1stBassist, SteveC and mikewalker like this.
  14. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I would ask them, but if they so no, there's not much you can do.

Any chance he's doing it on purpose to piss you off?

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Lots of bands have used my picture after I was no longer in the band. My current band uses the previous bass player's pic in a lot of their advertisements. To me it means less than nothing. I think it's best to just move on.

The only thing that would make me ask them to remove it is if people were going to see the show because they were going to see me, and were surprised that I wasn't there.

That's never happened :).

16. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    People don't pay attention to the bass player if we're playing correctly. ;)

17. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    I played in bands who took years to shoot new material for websites and promos.

Yeah it’s pure laziness on the bands behalf but still.

Also, proper photoshooting doesn’t come cheap.

18. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Wait a couple years. Time has a way of healing horrible things like this.:woot:

19. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Likely scenario number 1:

You call the band leader, “Hey man, could you maybe stop using my photo in promo material for the band?”

Band leader, “ Ahh man, sorry about that. We’re shooting new band pics in a couple weeks. We’ll change out the old pics when we do.”

1 year from now, the band completely dissolves having never removed the offending band pics from their promo materials.

20. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the parting member does not have much leverage, because unless he’s a named player, there's not much in quantifiable damages for using one’s likeness without permission. No lawyer will press this case. But when one is let go, I don’t believe considering the remaining band’s perspective regarding the difficulties and cost of new photos carries much moral weight. If you fire the guy, boo hoo, suck it up and get new pics. I suggest the band deal with the realities and give the departed player a break. If that’s too much a burden — hmm — maybe don’t fire the guy. (Now, if this was a mutual parting or the guy quit leaving the band high and dry, well ... ahem, never mind. ;))