1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please Help Band in a Box is ruining my life

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bangkokali, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bangkokali

bangkokali

Sep 2, 2008
    London, UK
    Ok a bit dramatic but at least has ruined my weekend !I've been usin it quite happily for a year to practice with until I disocvered that it would be a good idea if I recorded my practice . BIAB has a facility to do this with a line into the computer. To make matters easier I tried to record with a microphone and lay a bass line over a drum track. One whole weekend later I have 20 diffferent recordings of the drum track but no bass line over it. I have tested the mic with windows sound recorder and that records so I know that the signal is getting into the computer. I 'm guessing its something to do with the recording levels but I've adjusted all the ones I can. I have contacted BIAB support and in fairness they have come back to me within a day with some suggestions but thats still not working. Has anyone else come across this problem. Just for clarity I'm using a ACER travelmate TM5330 which has Audiotek audio manager.

If there isnt an easy solution to this can anyone point me in a cheap ( sub $ 200) alternative . All I really want to do is record my daily 30 min practice so that I can review it the next day to get some objectivity on my playing . It cant be that hard can it ?

2. Razorjack

Razorjack

Dec 8, 2006
    Stockport, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, Picato Strings
    Get a USB audio interface, the Line 6 Toneport GX would be perfect as it's got a built in DI and it's sub $100. I wouldn't cutting album tracks with it but it's great for demos and practice. The M-Audio Fast-track is another you could look at.

3. -1

a mic input should work fine.
    If you can get both biab and your bass both coming out of the computer speakers or headphones, you should be able to set the windows mixer to record the output from the computer. so you can record both in whatever program you want.
    The only problem is beeps and clicks and stuff get recorded too. If all you want to do is check practices it should be fine

4. bangkokali

bangkokali

Sep 2, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks for the quick replies ! just for clarity I 'm using my microphone to record my bass which is plugged in my amp. So bass plugged in being played normally and the micorphone placed near the amp and recording it onto BIAB. I thought that make it easier than trying to amp the bass signal before a line in recording Does that make sense ?

5. get a 1/4in to 1/8in jack converter, plug in straight into the mic-in on your computer and you are set. i have a passive bass and i do this all the time!

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you have a fairly recent copy of BIAB then it probably came with RealBand
    RealBand is a lot easier to do recording with. It works just like any track recorder.
    It can import a BAIB arrangement, you can add an additional track for your bass.

I'll second the Line 6 Toneport GX. It comes with POD Farm and gives you several amp and cabinet choices. It also has fairly low latency with it's ASIO drivers.

7. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    You've got What You Hear set as your preferred recording device in the Windows volume control, and probably have the mic input muted. Select the mic input as the preferred recording device and you should be good to go. You're going to do this from the Windows volume control. I don't remember how to get to the recording/voice pane (it defaults to the playback pane), since I haven't used a WDM driver in years, but it should be somewhere in the menu.

8. Let us know if you get it figured out, and how well it works. I use BIAB to practice with, but haven't tried recording with it.

9. bangkokali

bangkokali

Sep 2, 2008
    London, UK
    thanks I've tried some of these suggestions but still cant get anywhere which is a pity as BIAB is a nice piece of software. Still I've emailed the support department again and I'll pass on any advice they give me

10. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    There's also a great forum at PG Music where you can post questions. The guys who are on there are very helpful...just go to the PG Music website, find the forums drop down and go to the BIAB forums and post your question.

Somewhere there will probably know....