1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help identify this bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by winterburn69, Mar 13, 2013.

1. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    This was my first bass, I played it like hell for just over two years. I "rediscovered" it in a box in my son's closet. It's been like this for almost 6 years. It was such a mess when I bought it, but what can you expect for $60? 3 dead roundwounds, 1 flatwound A string, one of the neck screws had broken off into the body and the tone knob wasn't functional. Had all that fixed up nicely, then my son's mom tripped over a cable plugged into it which ripped the input jack out and broke the pickguard, I disassembled it and it's been like this since. I still have all the pieces not shown (screws, neck plate, knobs, thumb rest, bridge, tuners, etc.)

I know absolutely nothing about it, the piece of metallic material on the headstock says Winston, but google comes up with absolutely nothing. No serial number, no "made in wherever", and there's nothing on the neck plate that came with it. I know it's probably not worth much if anything, and I'd never get rid of it, too much sentimental value. I'd just like some info about it if anyone knows.

So I'd like a model name, where and roughly when it was made if anyone knows. It would be much appreciated. I can upload more pics if needed.

The neck.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1363185563.046070.

The headstock, with the "Winston" logo clearly visible.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1363185590.374085.

2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    The body.

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    It might help if you show what the body is shaped like .

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'll take a stab at it. It's a Winston.

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Damn. Having trouble uploading a picture of the body.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Probably made in Japan or Canada Teisco style bass that was sold as an entry level instrument to get people to pay for lessons.

Edit: Yup, Teisco made the Winstons.

Here was a similar guitar model.

jag0001.

7. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Here is a quote from Blue Book publications concerning Winston Guitars:

Instruments previously produced in Japan circa early 1960s to late 1960s. Distributed in the U.S. by Buegeleisen & Jacobson of New York, NY.
    The Winston trademark was a brand name used by U.S. importers Buegeleisen & Jacobson of New York, New York. The Winston brand appeared on a full range of acoustic guitars, thinline acoustic/electric archtops, and solid body electric guitars and basses. Winston instruments are generally the shorter scale beginnerĀ“s guitar. Although the manufacturers are unknown, some models appear to be built by Guyatone (source: Michael Wright, Vintage Guitar Magazine).

a quick google gave this

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Cool. Thanks. Talkbass app won't let me upload more pictures. I've never seen that the several times I've googled "Winston bass guitar" and I've never heard of Teisco. It's so nice to finally have some more info on it.

9. cyco739z

cyco739z

Mar 25, 2013
    Boston
    Boston Ma.
    Is that vintage mij worth anything now? Theres the same one on craigslist. Anyone know?

10. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I doubt they're worth anything. I paid $60 for mine. Do you have a link for the Craigslist ad?

11. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    pretty much identical to the off the shelf Silvertones that Sears sold around this time as well , plywood body, all the playability of a fenceboard with strings, there are some people out there that will pay for this "Vintage" stuff , but no one who has played one will

12. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Did a search for "vintage Japanese basses" and came up with this. Headstock looks the same.

1271106_bass-Mayfair-j.

13. cyco739z

cyco739z

Mar 25, 2013
    Boston
    Boston Ma.
    Yup. Thats it. Km gonna pass on the purchase. Thanks for the help. Rather put the few bucks toward something i will use. Looks cool though. Love that era style. Love the old hagstroms... never played one tho.

14. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Other than the shape of the pickguard and headstock logo, that's exactly like mine. How much was it selling for? Just curious what these sell for. I'd never sell mine, I think it would just be wrong to sell your first bass.