Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me create a budget rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frugle, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Well, I'm getting tired of playing through guitar rig, it sounds okay to me, but I want something big that I can feel when I hit the string.

First of all, my budget is ~600-800 dollars... I can put more into it, but thats my starting point.

I would like a rig, not a combo amp, if possible. I'm hoping for it to sound good as well.

the only venue I have is a venue with a full PA setup, so I will not be needing to project at super high volumes.

I have a Fender Jazz, but hope to get a 5 string someday.

Would it be better to just invest in an Avalon U5?

If not, what would create a good combination of equipment, decently priced?

Thanks in advance :)

2. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    That is not such a bad amount to get started with, you have quite a few options. I don't know what kind of music you're playing, but definately check out the classifieds here, you will often find very good deals. Look into a head with a DI, so you can go straight from your head into the PA. Probably a good standalone cab for now would be an Avatar 2x12 (www.avatarspeakers.com). They have that with an Ashdown head, but I don't know the price of that deal. Since you will have PA support, you could get the cab at 8 ohms and you would have the option to get another cab later. I don't really know if this has helped much, but good luck.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If it were my money, I'd go for the Avatar Neo 212 and either the Mag 600 or this ---> Click Me! or this--> Or Click Me!

The Neo 212 is prob Avatars best stand alone cab. I've had 5 different Avatar cabs, so I know a weeee little about them.. :D

4. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    thanks! it helps a little bit!

I play mostly "soft rock" and Christian type music, never any punk or metal or anything like that.. it's always a fat round tone, or a slight growl tone.

5. Quadzilla

Again the 212 Neo is great for that (as is the Kustom...).

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, from my experience with the Kustom, as well as hearing others stories, it should be a really good head for what you need. Try it out if you can, and (sorry I didn't say this before) welcome to Talkbass.

7. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    thanks! i've been here for a while, made a few posts.. I've learned a lot.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd look into Ashdown heads to pair with an Avatar cab, most likely the 212. That would sound great. Looking used, see if you can find a good Eden head in the price range. The Yorkville 800 watt (or the 400 watt version should be fine too) head would be awesome as well. I don't think the Kustom would fit in your setting too well... As for other cabs, Dr. Bass makes good budget cabs and there have been good reviews on Steelsound cabs recently as well.

9. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    +1 on the avatar 2x12 cab and ashdown mag 600. youll definitely feel your notes as well as hear them. 12's have great clarity and low end. they are the perfect compromise of 10s and 15s.

10. peavey amp and cab

Firebass700 + 410, nice and cheap and reliable :)

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ashdown stuff is good quality, round and fat sounding.

12. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Awesome! thank you!

13. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about the Firebass. 700 watts at 2 ohms, built like a tank, this would be a decently cheap head and it is a real workhorse.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    avatar; QSCrmx power amp;sansamp rbi. You could probably do better used..

15. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    oh, forgot to mention that, I plan to buy all of these on ebay... :) I've saved thousands of dollars in the last couple of years from buying off ebay. :)

16. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Don't forget to look here and Craig's List.

17. Quadzilla

Then see the links to Ebay auctions below...

18. Another vote for the Avatar 212.

19. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    as soon as I get the money, thats what I plan to get! i just wish it was a little taller so I didn't have to bend down to change the settings.

20. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Looking to get the avatar 212 and ashdown rig, I've been looking for new basses and realized tonight im ripping up my fingers trying to get the 60 watt to cut in the mix, all i can say is ouch, will be researching more, will post!

Check out Dr.Bass been reading some good stuff :hyper: