1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE HELP ME FIX MY FENDER JAZZ 24 FRET!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thinkmiriam, Apr 16, 2010.

1. thinkmiriam

thinkmiriam

Apr 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    HEY SO HERES THE DEAL MY PREAMP WENT OUT ON MY FENDER AND IM LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT NOT REALLY SURE WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST KIND SOUND AND OF COURSE MONEY WISE PLEASE HELP!!
    THANKS ;)

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    WHY ARE WE SCREAMING!!?!?!?!?

turn off your caps please.

3. thinkmiriam

thinkmiriam

Apr 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Not screaming just didnt take them off thats all :)

4. Bassman203

Bassman203

Mar 29, 2008
    Chicagoland
  5. thinkmiriam

thinkmiriam

Apr 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    yeah i took it to some service guy and he said he was pretty sure it was the preamp.. now I guess I have to change it just looking for a good deal on a good preamp..

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the preamps in those things die all the time! put the battery in backwards and *poof* it's dead; the damn thing can even catch fire!

i've had good luck ripping the whole harness out except for the volume and pan pots, adding in a nice aftermarket 2-band EQ/pre like the EMG bts control, and wiring the toggle as a true-bypass active/passive switch.

the quarter pound jazz pickups sound strong by themselves, so passive is a nice option to have.

if you're broke, bag the preamp altogether and wire it passive. those basses sound great that way.

7. Man i felt spit hitting my face as soon as i opened the thread ha.

But i had one of those and returned it , it had a horrible preamp. Fender ended up blowing them out for super cheap i think mine was under 300$.

Look for a good used preamp here, post a wanted ad

8. Im expecting my Fender J back any second now. Read my threads about the issue. I had to have the module replaced (still not exactly sure what that is) but Fender sent a new upgraded module so the battery being placed wrong wont blow the circuit anymore. It had to be shipped to Pittsburgh to an authorized Fender repair place, So far Im pleased with the service, but wont sign off until its back in one piece and sounding the same, which Im sure will be Monday. AND if, it ever happens again, I will mod it to be passive and will stop buying active basses altogether. That may not be your problem but you may want to consider the new module as well, good luck.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It's a jazz. Who needs a stinking preamp anyway??

10. Ur2funky

Ur2funky

Feb 16, 2010
    I have a Fender Jazz 24. I've been thinking of trying a Sadowsky preamp in it (which will cost me $250 plus shipping).

I'd be willing to sell the perfectly working preamp from my Jazz 24 to you for $100 plus $8 shipping.

Let me know if you're interested.

~Scott