Please humor a newbie: fingerboard radius

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Mon Rominee, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Hello all, I am in process of making a scratchbuild EUB, as a learning excersise (seeing I'm using free, yet really good wood) and before I make too many wrong turns, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the optimal fingerboard radius would be for a primarily rythm / finger player???

I've yet to really play for any real amount of time on this type of instrument, novice is too kind a word for my ability (tho I've played electric bass for 18+ years)

I've become quite fond of Sebastian Steinberg's more pop-slacker jazz work on Soul Coughing's music, and wanted to experiment with this type of style, tho obviously on a EUB vs. Seb's acoustic(but I'm severely limited on budget). So that is my focus. Big fan of the Bad Plus as well...

I really like the design of the NS upright, but do not want to emulate it per se, but keep in the spirit of it being compact, and in keeping with how Tony Levin plays his (on a strap, yet still "upright"). call it a grand comedy of errors...

Sorry for the long-winded post, just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from. From what I've experienced with players on this instrument, I gather it takes good command of technique, and I aspire to get to a point where I could someday be viewed as competent on it.

I appreciate your time and thoughts. If you would like some pics of the progress, I'd be happy to share them.