Please, Pentatonic Scale with all modes spelled out.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Can someone please give me a charted example of the minor pentatonic scale with modes 1-7? Like you would find in a scale book? I've been searching the net for hours, here too, and just can't find it. Please help, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. :bassist:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Penta means five, so per definition there can't be 7 "modes", only 5.
  3. Well that helped a lot. Thanks.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think the reason you can't find it is that it's not a concept much of anybody uses. At least in my experience.

Here's an example of a minor pentatonic scale:

D F G A C D

In terms of steps:

1.5 1 1 1.5 1
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What I've heard in my experience-

C - Eb - F - G - Bb - minor pentatonic
    Eb - F - G - Bb - C - major pentatonic
    F - G - Bb - C - Eb - suspended pentatonic
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yes indeed, but IMO those are best thought of as just different pentatonic scales. Thinking of them as modes of the minor pentatonic is IMO not a concept that will help anybody much. This is my problem with the whole "modes of the X scale" thing, but that's another thread (or three) ....

Just my $0.02.

My bias is that to understand modes or scales, they should be learned from the same starting point. Thus, in your terms:

Minor pentatonic: D F G A C
    Major pentatonic: D E F# A B
    Sus pentatonic: D E G A C
  7. Take it from your major scale as a reference if you know your major scale then just drop out the 4th and 7th notes of the scale thus you come up with

Formulae: 1-2-3-5-6

Just another way to look at it but the advice given is sufficient enough
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I definitely think that is more helpful way to learn them, too. I was just showing how they were modes. I was going to put them into names of scale degrees, but if figured that was a given, so I'll post them here.

R - b3 - 4 - 5 - b7
    R - 2 - 3 - 5 - 6
    R - 2 - 4 - 5 - b7
  9. Well, this helps, guess I'll just remember patterns and play them in place. I asked for modes because I was under the impression that all scales were broken into x amount of modes and kind of played in that sort of relationship. I know the major scale back and forth and all the modes in relation so I thought that's the way it was going to come out, guess I've got plenty to learn. Thanks a ton though guys.