1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

please recommend a chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sonicnuance, May 17, 2011.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I am looking for something either true bypass or pristine buffered bypass (no hiss, no distortion, no low end rolloff, etc) for subtle to mild chorus.

I wish I could describe the sound I'm looking for, but it is something that would work well with a fretless bass.

Maybe like the bass on "Come as you are" by Nirvana

I have my eye on the Boss CEB3, but the specs for noise don't look great. I realize this is judging a pedal based on paper, but I'm looking to narrow down my search. Having said that, the CEB3 youtube recordings I've heard have been really nice

Thanks

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

There's quite a few chorus threads that have popped up lately, so a search could be helpful.

That being said, Analogman, Digitech Hardwire and a lot of others get some love around here. As for myself, I've used the CEB-3 for a few years and liked it enough and have recently included the EHX Neo Clone in my board. Works well enough, although there's a bit a low end loss with it.

Edit:
    if you want an idea as to what the Neo sounds like, listen to Neil Young's "Keep on rocking in the free world". At the beginning of the 3rd verse, right after the solo, there's a short part where you hear only bass and drums. The Neo gets pretty close to it, IMO, with the depth switch ON and the knob @ 9 am.

3. I like the CEB-3 for it's sublety; on the noise issue, although I have never noticed any, I wouldn't likely use it for recording but live it's fine.

4. Come As You Are is an EHX clone (either the small clone or the clone theory, Kurt had both and I've heard it both ways). So I'd recommend you take a look at the Neo Clone, which is supposed to be a faithful re-make of the Small Clone and it's true bypass.

5. I don't know a whole lot about many bands, but when it comes to Nirvana, I've done my research. Novoselic never used a chorus pedal, but if you want that "Come as you are," sound...just grab an EHX Small Clone. It works just fine on bass, sounds dark and can do subtle, but also the wilder, watery sound.

6. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
  7. <---CE-5 owner and fan

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Another vote for the CEB-3, got mine for Father's Day '09.

Works great, it works great with all of The Cure stuff I play.

9. The Tortuga Martini is really good, the Moollon Chorus is awesome, but my favorite (hope to own one someday) is the Taurus Vechoor Multi-Chorus Stereo (highly responsive controls, vintage sound).

10. +1

CEB-3 was a bit too sterile for my liking.

11. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I'm digging the new TC Electronic Corona Chorus...It can be set to be nice and subtle, or get pretty wet if that's your thing. Plus it has the USB toneprint port for downloading custom sounds....I'm liking this Chorus a lot!

12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Last week I needed a line splitter to use a remote amp live (so the drummer could hear me) and found a newly issued MXR Analog Chorus ($99), and it's pretty nice. Two outs, one effected and one not, but buffered. That way I can run the 2nd amp chorused but leave my main sound alone. The new MXR pedals are quite OK!

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a good affordable chorus pedal, the danelectro chorus pedals would be a good choice. these chorus pedals can provide smooth retro chorus sounds and they go easy on your budget.

14. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    agreed

I had a cool kat chorus many years ago and was amazed at how good it sounded. It is definitely a sleeper pedal. Unfortunately, I only used it for guitar and don't know how it works for bass

15. +1 for the CE-5.

I find that the CE-5 sounds "dark" while something like my EHX Polychorus is more "shimmery". It is nice having both to play around with.

16. Try hardwire pedals. They are true bypass and are the best for the money in my opinion. I like the reverb pedal on the modulated setting for my chorus sound but they do have a dedicated chorus pedal as well

17. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I use two chorus which I like a lot.
    MXR Micro Chorus: one knob wonder, sounds warm and very musical. I like the fact that there's only one thing to mess with. Great sounding pedal.
    Boss CEB-3 this one is a little bit cooler in tone than the MXR, it's more tweabable but its tweaks are not always useful.
    I sometimes have both on at the same time for a more dramatic effect.

18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    +1 ... for $15 (FAB model) you can't go wrong. Way better than you'd expect for the price.

19. i use an old Ibanez CS-9 that is part of a pretty old Ibanez multi effect pedal. very simple, very effective. not super cheap, but great.