Please TB'rs... Help me decide!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I am purchasing a Fender American Deluxe and have narrowed it down to two basses. Please help me out as I cannot decide. They are both ash-bodied, but one has a rosewood fingerboard and one has a maple fingerboard. The teal one is a 2002 has a buy-out of 975.00. The other is a NOS 2004 I believe and is being let go for 1049.00.
  2. IMO, definitely the transluscent green with the maple. Very nice.

I'm not much of a rosewood fan, personally. I prefer the brightness of the maple.

It's strange, I've NEVER been a Fender fan at all. For whatever reason though, I've recently been GAS'ing a MIA Jazz. The pic of that green one does NOT help my GAS. Thanks ALOT!!! :(
  3. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    They are both great, buy both, keep the green one, and give me the other! problem solved!

(I think the green one is better, it's good to be different)
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well... I bought the teal one. I just hope with an ash body and a maple fingerboard, the highs aren't too deep. I do like to slap and pop a lot though so who knows.

Thanks for the input!
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    the teal is prettier but i'm so partial to RW fretboards i would pick the other.
  7. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Now let's see if what everyone has been telling me is correct--that the deluxe is better then the passive American Series Jazz basses.
  8. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    Between those two I'd go with the teal.
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    maple and rosewood,whi is the diferences between the two types of woods? anyone here can explain me,i think the rosewood is better wood :confused:
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The maple neck will give you a brighter sound, plus the teal bass is a looker! You don't see that everyday! With all things being equal besides the neck I would go for the teal everytime.
  11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    IME fingerboard wood is for looks and thats about it. The feel is slightly different and the tone will be nearly identicle on the same bass all things being equal.

Go for the Teal. I love the look of maple and teal, like my sweeet Fbass BN5. ;)
  12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    "better" is subjective here. It's really all based on whether you prefer passive or active. I like passive at home alone or in the studio and active better live or for advanced technuques like tapping.
  13. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yeah who knows. I might end up wanting to keep them both. :):)
  14. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go the teal/maple

I love maple :D
  15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    thanks bro
  16. That teal is a real looker :hyper: give us a review Knavery!
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You have got to buy the Teal/maple bass. That thing looks so good I wish it was mine!
  18. My Jazz has a roseword fretboard, and a great, dark growly sound.

Would the brightness of the maple change the growl of a Jazz in any significant way?