1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Please tell me this is fine!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mili, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Hi my Bass friends, Happy New year!
    Recently I bought a pair of used MIM fender player Jazz pickups from ebay. I opened the package today And saw this.
    P_20210101_115228_1_p.jpg I guess this won't work at all. :crying:
    What do you think?
    Tnx.

2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    You're probably right. Check the resistance at the leads -- if it's infinite, contact the seller, and show him a picture of the pickup and the reading. You should be able to get your money back without much problem.

the harp unstrung and Mili like this.
  3. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    unfortunately I can't return it. I live in Middle east. My friend was going back from US and I told him to buy this item on ebay for me.
    I don't have a multimeter to check the resistance. Assuming it's broken, is it fixable?
    Thanks for response.

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Yes. The loose wire will have to be "unwound" enough to get to the eyelet. Although the thin coil wires appear to be bare copper, there is actually a thin coating of lacquer that acts as insulation; I believe this needs to be gently scraped off at the connection so the solder will adhere.

5. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Oh thank you, that's a relief. I know someone who makes pickups from scratch. I will send it to him for repair then.

6. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    I appreciate more opinion about this problem.

jamro217 likes this.
  7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Hard to say anything else. Have your pickup maker buddy take a look, he’ll know what your options are. Worst case, he can rewind it for you..

jamro217, BlueTalon and Mili like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Good luck @Mili
    Hope you have a great new year.

Mili likes this.
  9. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Thanks, I hope same for you.(I mean Good Luck :))

Killing Floor likes this.
  10. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    This is the best option.

Happy New Year!

Mili likes this.
  11. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    If you don't mind me asking, where in the Middle East are you?

12. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    unfortunately IRAN.

13. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Understood. Well, Shalom, or Salam Valekum, or God Bless you. Whichever applies.

14. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Actually and unfortunately Iran is not a great country for Jewish people, and "Salam Va alaykum" is for Arabs but religious Muslim people here may say hello like that but 95% of Iranians just say "Salam" and others who wants to be more Persian says "Dorood". Thanks and Happy New Year.

15. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    No matter your background, I would consider it an honor to spend some time with you, if that opportunity ever presents itself.

Clank Plank, 4StringTheorist and Mili like this.
  16. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Me too, I love TB.

17. Clank Plank

Clank Plank

Dec 26, 2020
    England
    I've only been on TB a short while, but it's clearly a family of bass lovers that transcends petty rubbish like borders, politics and religion. It's brilliant.

Going back to topic, I worked in an electronics factory when I was a teenager waiting to go through the selection process to join the army. Crater's advice is spot on, that's the way to go if your eyesight is good and your hand is steady. As he describes, the wire will be coated with a fine enamel like substance but get a good blob of hot solder on the soldering iron and hold the end of the broken wire within the blob for 5 or 10 seconds and with luck the coating will burn off and the copper wire beneath will be 'tinned'with solder. An iron with a flat tip is better for that sort of thing, and good old fashioned solder with lead in it is far easier to work with if you can find it. As a last resort stroking the wnd of the wire with very fine abrasive paper will do the job but it's trickier.

Good luck.

Mili likes this.
  18. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    That person who builds PUs can fix it IMO. Good luck, and have a wonderful year!

Mili likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021