1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pocket recorder for live takes?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Guest043, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    im playing in mostly jambands, and i like to record and listen back to rehearsals and such. im not so into getting a cheap 8 track and a mixer + a bunch of mics + investing time in getting a live mixdown.

then this cought my eye

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-POCKETRAK-2G-POCKET-RECORDER?sku=241828

anyone ever had experience with this (or a similar unit)? if i left that in the middle of the room during a jam, what kind of sound would i expect? like an okay live bootleg recorded from the crowd sort of sound?

i dont care about the small-size feature, but all yamaha stuff ive ever used was great quality for the price..any other unit suggestions greatly appreciated..

and if by any chance someone has a recording that came from a similar unit?

any help appreciated..

2. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i have never used one of those but i do use a sony md or my buddies sony dat. the dat is a little big but it does fit into your pocket & it gets great recordings. my md gets decent recordings, but if you use a bass reducer they come out pretty clean.

as for not having to buy a lot of mics & such i got my md in a recording package deal that came w/ mics, the bass reducer & the md for about 300 bucks.

hope this helps

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
  4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have the Zoom H2 - totally amazing. Records in WAV or MP3 at variable rates, has 4 mics that can record surround sound or 4 tracks to be mixed later, has a direct in and out and it is CHEAP. It also has programmable AGC / limiter, and almost too many other features. A great example of what technology can do for us.

I record most of our shows with it and the results are fantastic. I usually stick it on a table out in the club so I can hear what the audience is hearing.

5. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    looks like the zoom is the only one getting any recommendations..

for some reason i still want to go for the yamaha. probobly just because of the reputation they have, and my experience with them..

and my experience with those godawfull zoom multi-fx units..err..

anyway, does anyone have recordings from the zoom unit? id really love to hear what it can do recording your show in a club/bar type thing..

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Bass player magazinie reviewed a bunch of those things this month. You might want to pick up a copy. The one you're looking at is the one that got my interest - mainly because of it's size and because I THINK you can slow stuff down with it. I'm holding off on it right now because they said they're coming out with a new improved version that has a built in speaker and better sound. The review in BP said this particular one sounded dark with less stereo seperation than the others.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I just read the description and it seems that IS the upgraded version. Uh oh... I may be dropping $300 in a couple of minutes. Why'd ya have to post this, dammit.

8. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I've used both of these. They both produce superb results for your application, but I prefer the Sony.

The Zoom is really great if you want to multi-track, etc. but the Sony is so-o-o-o easy to use. The Zoom H4 is around $250-300, the Sony costs $500.

Also, the Sony can slow things down for you.

Hope this is helpful.

9. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    gotta love the things TB can do for you..

i might just go ahead and buy one in a minute too..even though nobody seems to have tried it.

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document/yamaha/pocketrak_pocket_recorder?doc_id=103481

I'm goin down quickly. :) Here's my thinking out loud:

I know I need one of these, every musician should have one. I've lost lots of great bass parts in rehearsals because I can't remember them.

I know I'm going to buy one eventually and at that price it doesn't seem like there's going to be one smaller with as many functions any time soon. I hate carrying bulky crap in my pockets, this is the only one that seems like it will fit.

It has all the options I want - recharchable, built in speaker, variable speed, EQ.

If I buy it now as opposed to waiting a month, I'll get an additional months use of it in my lifetime. :) I've got lots of stuff coming up in the next couple of weeks where it will be really useful.

I believe that was the 10 count. I'll let you know how good or bad it is in a few days. :hyper:

11. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    oh man, those acoustic guitar samples blew me away man..

im not even going to wait for your review. im ordering one!

my review comming up in a few days as well :bassist:

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!

DAMMIT AGAIN! http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMPOCKETRAKCX

I have to research this one before I make a move. I may still go with the other if the only differences are the mics and sd card.

13. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    whoa..good call..

why diddnt i find that one in my hours of searching earlier?

is this the "updated version" you mentioned earlier? 2 mics looks like a sweet upgrade..

14. jimiwhite

jimiwhite

Jul 8, 2003
    I'm caught up with getting a recorder myself. I think (98%) I'm going for the Edirol R 09HR. In addition to all the needed features, it uses a SD or SDHC card. The Sony uses a Memory Stick.

Also the wireless remote is getting my attention. In rehearsal or a gig, one can set the recorder in a desired location and remotely start functions.

Jimi

15. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    im confused. is the yamaha CX one available yet? theres one on ebay comming from japan for $450? strange..i cant find any "available by.." kind of info..

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I think this might be the upgraded version. I should check the BP article again. I remember it sounding as though they didn't have all their facts straight when it was written.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I believe the upgraded version gives better stereo separation and sound, but it looks a lot more complicated to use. When something gives me a hard time I wind up never using it - so even if it's a better unit it may not serve me. I like that it has programable EQ.... still reading manuals. If you have any thoughts please share em. :)

Ohh.. I don't believe the CX is available yet. They're not in stock and my experience is it can take months, to literally forever waiting for something to be stocked. Waited for a bass once that never even came to be. DEAN Pace in natural color which was advertised but not in stock. Just a little aside there.

17. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    odd..

the one website allowing pre-orders says its on order from yamaha, but that doesent do anything for me..

as much as i do like the idea of 2 mics as compared to 1, judging from that acoustic guitar sample..1-mic version sounds more than good enough..

other than that the only differnce seems to be more memmory..but why would you need more than 19 hours worth of recording..

ill most likely take the plunge tonight rather than waiting possibly months for the updated one..who knows, those recordings id get in the upcomming days/weeks/months could be the basslines that write my best songs :bassist:

18. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
  19. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i did a LOT of internet-based research before buying a digital recorder last spring, and i've been very pleased with the Tascam Dr-1 i chose:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DR1-Portable-Studio-Audio-Recorder?sku=241890

i also listened to a lot of samples from all the units and at the sub $500 mark (everything below the sony), the tascam sounds the best to my ears...i do like the remote control feature mentioned earlier though--that would be great thing to have (at least until i lost the remote, ha)

20. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    that one looks pretty serious..

but for nearly 2 grand i could set up a pretty good home studio..