Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Pointless" Scale Excersises?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Alright...Lately I've been trying to do this thing called "scale of the week" where I take 1-3 weeks trying to learn a key by learning/understanding the notes in the scale,playing the key in all 8 "modes"*, and just getting familiar with the key.

* Now, by modes I mean say if it was the key of E major - I'd play F#,G#,A,B,C#,D#,E,and than the octave of F#. (I do this with all notes in the scale)

Now is this considered an actual mode?/ does this have a certain name? Or am I just playing in the Key of E Major F#-F#

Thanks for your help,I've recently 'lost' my instructor and had a few questions to ask.

2. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    that would be Dorian. Major is actually Ionian mode. here's a list of the modes starting on the tonic of major
    1: Ionian (major)
    2: Dorian
    3: phrygian
    4: lydian
    5: mixolydian
    6: aeolian (natural minor)
    7: locrian

3. thanks,is their an easier/easy way to remembering these names?

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    People often call them positions/boxes/frames and so on. I think it's just easier to remember the names. Some are played much more often and are more easily used. You'll probably use Dorian quite often, Myxolidian quite a bit, some straight up Major and Minor (Ionian and Aeolian), and that's about it. You won't find yourself playing many songs (unless you try to) in Locrian, Lydian, or Phrygian as much.

-Eric.

P.S. - IMPO, it's easier to think of them as scales unto themselves and not degrees of some other scale or key.

5. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    Dont just learn the boxes, be able to play the scales everywerhe on the bass.. on one string... on only two strings. each note on a different string (sort of kinda...) etc etc. Play them by 2nds, 3rd, fourths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths.
    for example
    C playing by 7ths
    c B d C e D f E g F a G b A c
    thirds. *m inor 3rd
    c E (d F)* (e G)* f A g B (a C)* (b D)* c E

also remember each degree of the scale will produce different chords

generally speaking its.,
    1 Major
    2 MInor
    3 Minor
    4 Major
    5 Major
    6 Minor
    7 diminished(minor basically

disregard if you are confused, my english is horrid.

6. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    basically any choral warm up makes a good bass workout.
    DO mi sol do sol mi Do fa la do la fa DO mi sol do sol mi DO aka
    1 3 5 8 5 3 1 4 6 8 6 4 1 3 5 8 5 3 1

7. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I Do Pot Leave Me ALone

9. I just got back from a mike stern clinic and that's EXACTLY what he said and went over like 4 times

10. Or, "I Don't Play Loud Music After Lunch."

11. that totally owns Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally :p

Thanks a bunch guys.