Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POLL: Which pickup do you use?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Danny Adair, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Barbera

3.3%
  2. Fishman Full Circle

14.4%
  3. Fishman BP-100

3.3%
  4. K&K Bass Max

17.1%
  5. K&K Double Big Twin

2.2%
  6. K&K Bass Master Pro

3.3%
  7. K&K Bass Master RB

0.6%
  8. Pick Up The World

0.6%
  9. Polytone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Realist

17.7%
  11. Schertler Dyn-B

3.3%
  12. Schertler Stat-B

3.3%
  13. String Charger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Underwood

6.1%
  15. Revolution SOLO

3.9%
  16. Wilson

2.2%
  17. No pickup - Microphone Only!!! (please reply with details)

3.3%
  18. Combination - pickup + mic combo (please reply with details)

7.7%
  19. None of the above (please reply with details)

6.6%
  20. Pickups and amps are for sissies!

1.1%
  1. This poll is my attempt to get a grasp on which pickups TB DB'ers are using either alone or in conjunction with a microphone. This poll may show my bias as a pickup user; hopefully a microphone-centric player will throw together a microphone-focused poll.

I've tried to capture old stalwarts, recent favorites, and brand-new or lesser-known options. Please don't hesitate to reply with options that I've overlooked.

Thanks,
    Danny

2. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I'm actually blending my Full Circle with my Upton Rev. Solo. The FC is great, but just a bit electric sounding. The solo is really natural sounding, but starts to ring at certain frequencies (like a mic would just before it really feeds back) as the volume goes up. Blending the two about 50-50 gives me a sound almost as natural as a mic with WAY more headroom. :)

The Solo is really "punchy" too. Great pizz. It gets a little loud and scratchy with the bow. The FC works better with the bow. Blending helps the Solo sound better with the bow.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I voted for the Full Circle, but I almost always pair it with the AMT. I have also used the Bass Max/Trinity mic combo, and still keep that setup on my office bass at the U.

4. I use the Underwood mainly because of its ability to pick up all five strings on my bass equally.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I use the AMT mic exclusively now. I like to play with high action to get that "bounce" in my sound, and the mic just reproduces it better than a pickup could. I haven't found it necessary to blend a pickup into my signal.

6. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    AMT SP25B with a Realist.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    None of the above!

I am using a homemade magnetic pickup on my 1962 Kay. It consists of four rare earth magnets, each with a coil of wire around it. The coils are pulled out of little stepping motors... everything was scavenged from the trash at my day job. These are attached to a framework of pieces made from 1/4 inch thick Lexan, ultimately clamping to the end of my fingerboard.

Yeah, the thought of a DIY pickup seems horrifying, and we all know about the magnetic pickup sound. But it is actually quite inconspicuous, and I have gotten nothing but compliments about my sound. Maybe I get a bit less of the electricky sound because this is a really low impedance single coil pickup. It is also mounted at a fair distance away from the strings to minimize distortion -- possibly a culprit with commercial magnetic units. I make up for the relatively weak output level with some gain on my preamp.

Piezos have never treated me well, but I am ready to try again, now that I have a preamp with all of the bells and whistles for controlling feedback -- proper input impedance, phase switch, and parametric. We'll see how it goes.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    FC and AMT. Rarely together.

9. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    None of the Above:
    Use B-Band pickups on my Juzek & King.
    They sound more like the bass, less prone to feedback & louder in volume than the others I've owned.
    They also sound pretty good for arco.

10. Mic only: a Neumann KM 185 on a stand.

Cheers,
    Vincent

11. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a K&K BassMax with the K&K preamp. The p'up is mounted on the "G" side.

I also have an Underwood mounted on the bridge of my Clevinger-- does that still count? ;)

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    AMT S25B and K&K DBT.

13. SD Systems LCL100 mic only.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I did so want to pick the SISSIES choice. I have yet to use an amp on a gig this year.

I have a Realist which I put through the amp, a Sennheisser MD 409 that I put through the PA. I don't always use them at the same time, at KAVEHAZ I just use the mic, some casual gigs that I need soem volume on I just use the pick up.

But sweetest of all are the gigs I don't need any amplification for.

15. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    None of the above.
    I use a Barcus-Berry 3150 on my modified Carruthers EUB.

16. Barbera.

17. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Unlike everyone else in this thread (LOL), I'm still looking for the perfect pickup

I put "full circle" but in fact, i don't HAVE a full circle at the moment--i sent it back to fishman for a warranty repair and I'm awaiting its return.
    So technically I should have put "bass max." but i like dthe full circle pretty well when it was working

18. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Full Circle. I must say that I use the Fishman Pro Platinum EQ with it. The pre-amp makes it smoother and punchier. And if this makes any sence, the pre-amp makes it so I can be softer and hear myself better, which I am sure that my bandmates appreciate.

19. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    At present, I'm using Underwoods on the Kolstein and Standard. They cut through with reasonable amount of tone and are easy on and off. That being said, when I get back into experimental mode, the Solo sounds like something I'd like to try. The trouble with so called "natural" sounding pickups, to me, is that many times if it sounds great at home it will invariably get lost in the mix on the gig.

Ike

20. Quieter: just the bass

Louderer: mic either in the legs of the bridge, or behind the tailpiece

More Louderer: Full Circle

Most Loudererest: Full Circle, plus mic either in the legs…

Really Mostest Louderest: everything turned up to 12½…

- Wil