Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll - Your Favorite Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Bag End

21 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Epifani

27 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Bergantino

36 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. E A

18 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. SWR

21 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. Eden

27 vote(s)
    14.1%
  7. Aguilar

34 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. Ampeg

37 vote(s)
    19.3%
  9. Fender

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Mesa

21 vote(s)
    10.9%
  11. Avatar

24 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. Schroeder

22 vote(s)
    11.5%
  13. Peavey

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  14. Carvin

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  15. Hartke

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  16. Acme

14 vote(s)
    7.3%
  17. Ashdown

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  18. EBS

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  19. G K

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  20. Other - please specify

20 vote(s)
    10.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Hey there, this is NOT a "what should i get" post or a post for y'all to argue on (being from the north i always wanted to say "y'all) :p
    Just for my own demographic curiosity
    So check off your favorite cabinet manufacturers
    leave a post too if ya like
    me, i'm a big bag-end, epifani, bergantino guy

2. avatar
    eden
    peavey
    aguilar
    and of course SCHROEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    BE
    Epifani
    Berg
    &
    yes...Schroeder

[2nd hand Aguilar GS cabs are good values fairly often.]

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like Epifani, Eden(XST), Bergantino, Peavey and of course Schroeder. Never had the pleasure of trying an EA cab.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1.) Schroeder (you guys are all copying me :p )
    2.) Bag End (I spent a few years gig them... great cabs)
    3.) Other (I Loved my old "tuck -n- roll" Kustom 4x12 that was loaded with some heavyduty EV drivers... thing was a 120lbs Couch)

:bassist:

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Is this about which cabinets TBers own or about what is the current GAS dream? It'll make a difference.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I could be wrong, but I interpreted it as, of the speaker systems you've heard which ones did you really like.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I voted what I own and use along with stuff that did me right in my past.

9. embellisher

That's how I voted. I don't own any of the cabinets I listed(althought my Schroeder will be here next week) but of all of the cabinets I have demoed or heard, those are the ones I like best.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's about your favorites - if you own them or not.........
    i like i lot of them, i just voted for my top 3, heck, i own an aguilar gs-112, but overall aggies arent my favorite cabs

11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm voting Aguilar because it's what I own and like. I'd be curious to know how much voting is going to be GAS dream...not that I expect to find out.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I voted Eden. It is what I own and like. Yeah, I tried alot of others.

-Mike

13. i voted for my gas dream

QSC RMX1450
    BBE B-MAX
    SCHROEDER 410

14. embellisher

Is it 'GAS Dream' if you have actual experience with the cab, as in 'Actually demoed it several times with different amps and basses, and liked the way that it sounded'?

I like the way that the cabs I mentioned sound the most out of things that I have owned or demoed. I ordered a Schroeder after hearing them at the D/FW get together and being blown away for the amount of volume and low end that they have, combined with overall sound, light weight, small size, and low cost.

What about somebody who loves the way that *insert random $1000 cab here* sounds but can only afford used panwshop cabinets? Do they not have a right to an opinion, just because they can't afford the cabinets that they like best?

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    IMO, a GAS dream is having no experience with an item. Demo-ing in the store and knowing what you want is not a GAS dream. Maybe (for whatever reason) the purchase hasn't occured but at least you know what you want from having tried it. Fair definition?

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bergies!!!!!!!! :cool:

17. I have played most everything out there at one point or another but I am curious about the Schroeders myself....currently I am in love with my Bergantino mini stack HT112/EX112 and it would take a LOT to get me to part with it.......

T

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I make no bones about being an EA fan (especially of the VL-series), so they of course got a vote from me. As you said "check all that apply", though, I had to also mark Epifani and Bergantino. While I tend to somewhat prefer a more "flat" or "uncolored" cab (more on this below), both Epifani and Bergantino cabs seem to me to be only slightly colored (and Epi perhaps moreso than Bergs), but that this just gives them a bit of a "signature sound." Both are very good. My favorite Epi combo is the T-112/T-110UL (times two, if possible!). My current favorite Bergie combo is the HT112/EX112, although I'd love to hear all of the new NV line.

One brand that I was very surprised to see absent is Accugroove. If I had to vote for only two cabs, it would have been EA and Accugroove. These are two of the top makers in the "uncolored" category. However, I have recently acquired a Hevos Midget, and it has, quite honestly, blown me away. If the rest of their cabs sound like this little 1x10, I shudder to think of what their larger cabs sound like!

Two other manufacturers that I believe I would have to vote for in a "check all that apply" type of poll are Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound. I have tried two one-off cabs from Dr. Bass (a 2x10 and a 1x15), both using neo Eminence drivers, and they are incredibly good for the size and weight. Dr. Bass is currently working on making these two cabs even better right now! And literally every cab that I have heard from Don up at Low Down Sound (and I have heard about 7 or 8 of them) were very impressive. They make one of the best 1x15's I have heard, and their long-throw 8" equipped cabs are really something special. Really!

So, if I had to vote for all of my Favorite cabs, I'd have to include:

EA
    Accugroove
    Epifani
    Bergantino
    Hevos
    Dr. Bass
    Low Down Sound

I recently bought my first ACME, and it is taking a bit of getting used to. But I just may have to add Andy's cabs to this list as well. They are special cabs in their own regard, and they do require a somewhat different approach to get them to sound good in a very loud setting.

And if we were to rewind the clock about 8-10 years, or if someone were looking for a more "classic" bass cab configuration, then by all means, cast my vote for Mesa Boogie! Their Diesel and Road Ready series were tops in their era, IMHO. Their 4x10 and 2x15 still survive as stand-out workhorses.

And here I thought I was just going to check a couple of boxes and move on... ;)

19. embellisher

Cool. I appreciate the clarification. I can't imagine somebody GASing for a cab they have never heard, but I suppose it could happen.