1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Polyphonic Pitch Shifting! Slammi Plus vs Bass Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ansonsti, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Any experience with Slammi Plus? I’ve been taking a hard look at the Bass Whammy, especially after seeing what Victor Wooten does with it. The Slammi Plus seems at a glance to be an easier to power and more streamlined version of that. My main concern is in how tasty the sound is. I guess it’s the pitch fork algorithm....I’ve seen pretty positive stuff about pitch fork on bass. But, I’ve been an analog octave guy to this point and phatness is paramount! I guess it might not matter as much with going up an octave and such. My buddy recently warned me against the Slammi, mostly because EHX is generally suspect (tonal and build quality). Thoughts? Other options that do a similar thing?

2. What do you mean easier to power? The Bass Whammy takes standard 9v and you can even use a one-spot.

EHX quality is mostly fine nowadays. I like the DigiTech but they sound pretty similar IMO.

ansonsti likes this.
  3. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Dope, thanks for nudging me closer to reality! Looks like it’s more of a coin flip than I had imagined. Time to do some soul searching.

4. Get the whammy, Thundercat uses a whammy

ansonsti likes this.
  5. Buy the whammy. Trust me. I started with a Digitech xp1, and that was... meh... But it beats a boss ps3, and while it isn't quite the same, it's so much smaller than my EHX hog1 that I'd prefer it. I also have octavers on my octavius squeezer and the deep impact reissue from Hungary (forget the name and too lazy to walk back to my closet).

Closing thoughts: buy the bass whammy. I promise you'll be happy. It's a quality pedal and I've tried a ton of pitch shifters (zvex jonny octave is kinda fun but not in the same ballpark).

ansonsti likes this.
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Bass Whammy all day. Haven’t tried the Slammi Plus but if it’s anything like the Pitch Fork I owned, it does not beat the Bass Whammy

ansonsti likes this.
  7. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    IMG_0967.JPG Thanks for the input! I guess it’s settled. I’m stoked to get a pitch shifting pedal because my board is currently full (no room for smaller gizmos...this can go off to the side with my exp pedal) and it’s actually an effect that I’m lacking right now. I guess it’s time to wait for a deal or something. I’ll attach a pic for context

alecduncan likes this.