Popping Problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Wow! I almost completely misrepresented my self. It's amazing how much you can change our language by mistaking o's and p's.

Anyway, I broke the G string last night while trying to nail down Higher Ground. All of the sudden the string broke, right by the bridge.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I think I'm probably playing too hard. I'm taking my first bass lesson next week. I have had many bad habits that weren't corrected until my first day of Jazz Ensemble in the end of August.

Bad habits are hard to brake after nearly two years.

So, the problem is simply that I'm playing too hard, right?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check the bridge saddle for nicks. There's probably a sharp edge that's eating into the string.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I checked on that. There didn't appear to be any damage other than screws (maybe sloppy installation). The break(s) aren't on the bridge, there about one inch/2.5 cm away from the string bolt, just barely over it. The break is about one inch/2.5 cm long. In all occurences, the string bolt is still connected by a single curly wire. Also, I think I broke in the strings first, but maybe I need to do a better job.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heeyy higher ground, that was MY first slap/pop song ever! Yay for memories.
  5. grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    What's a string bolt?Do you mean the ball end of the string?