1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Popping sound through speakers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blmeier7, Aug 5, 2017.

1. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I have a P bass that is creating a popping/crackling sound through the speakers. This doesn't sound like a typical static or grounding issue, it's more like a speaker or coil issue. But I know it's the bass. This bass is the only one of my 5 basses that has the issue. And I've tried it with 2 different amps and cabs and it does the same crackling sound on both.

I was going to take the electronics apart and re-solder the points, but I thought I'd check with you all and see if anyone has had a similar issue.

2. When does the problem occur?

Have you tried replacing the output jack?

3. blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    It occurs anytime I hit a note, mainly low notes on the E string. Could be a jack issue but I can wiggle the cord and it doesn't get better or worse.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

pickup is too close to the string
    be sure it's at least 3/32" away from the string with the string depressed at the last fret

5. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Dirty volume pot, maybe. While you are in there, squirt it with some cleaner.

6. blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Could be one of the pots. I'll try cleaning them first. My initial thought was either the pots or pickup is going out. Wouldn't think a pickup could go bad, but I guess it's possible. I do think it's an electrical problem of some kind. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021