1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popping Speed?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fender221, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Hi, I am wondering how to learn to get my popping up to speed. I can slap just fine, but the popping I cannot get down fast. I sometimes try to pop with my index and middle finger, alternating them, but the middle finger just feels unnatural. So how can I pop faster like if I was just playing on say the D string without having to alternate my fingers?

Thanks in advance-this place is great

2. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Do what I did. Listen to Mark Kings live stuff over and over for 15 years straight. Picture yourself in your mind slaping as fast as Mark King. Eventually you MIGHT get fast. Just depends on gifted talent :rolleyes:

3. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    LOL I thought this thread was going to ask if popping speed would make your playing faster....:rollno:

4. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    ^ Glad to see I'm not alone...

5. Listen to the intro of 'My Life' by Operation Ivy...

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    One pop per slap is all you get so you better learn to slap faster.

Seriously tho, it's a good idea to get used to popping with your middle finger. You'll find that out if you ever play a 4 set Disco Revival gig or cut/smash your index finger.

7. flareaga

flareaga

Mar 1, 2007
    It's crazy, I'm having the same troubles right now. I tried doing this...double slap the first note, then pop the octave. Basic slap lick mirite? Well, I figure, hey, while your popping, why not move your thumb up and slap the octave. It creates a nice a illusion. It's still hard to get consistent, but I'm getting it quicker then using my "dit dee dee" middle finger.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Economy of motion is important. Keep your hand near to the bass and alternate between your index and middle fingers to pop triplets.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Try tapping the lower note with your left hand and double-thump the octave.

:D

Seriously though... I really suck at using the middle finger for the second pop. Don't know how to get it working, especially how to control the timing of it (the second pop I mean). I've tried to learn it properly for several years without any success. I have blamed my lefthandness for this (I play right-handed basses).

I manage to slap the rhythm 16th(low) 16th(high) 8th(high) well by tapping the second note with my left hand, but to have an 8th note first followed by two high 16ths just feels plainly impossible...

10. i dont use my middle finger for slap, i can just about slap fast enough not to need to, and unless you use a victor wooten technique where you pop with both your index and middle finger in one slap then its just the way it is, learn higher ground by the red hot chili peppers to get your slap technique up.

11. Try popping first, then slap
    or combinations of pop/slap

Do these exercises as 16th notes. Start slow
    Dont sacrifice quality for speed

s = slap
    p = pop

spsspspp
    ssppsspp

12. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    Haha, this is funny, i always pop with my middle finger, i have more trouble trying to do double pops using my first finger...Oh deary, deary me...:meh: