1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portable Battery Pack for Pedal Power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jcerio, Mar 2, 2017.

1. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I have an Anker Powercore 20100 power pack with 2 USB outputs. I bought a USB to 2.1 mm 5 volt to 9 volt cable and a polarity reverse cable. The battery was a gift and the rest was only $17. Anyone ever try powering a pedalboard like this?

2. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I did and it tends to only power 2 pedals if it has a smartpower thing going on. Ended up just getting a better power pack. I use the battery for my phone and iPad now

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't know about the specific battery, but a guy I used to play with had a setup like that he used for jam sessions.
    His had a battery and three pedals. There was a three color charge indicator on the battery, which was nice.
    It worked fine. But he only used it for like 15 or 20 minutes at a go. Never with all three pedals on at once.
    He said he could use it 5 or 6 times between charges, though.

4. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That's about right, I could have two on ata my time, the third would knock it out.

5. I have used a usb battery back up for some drop and run gigs with my little board with 3 effects on a daisy chain, including a Zoom B2.1u. Will try one again this weekend with my new little board with 5 effects using a daisy chain.

6. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I received the power converter and polarity reverse adapter Friday. I connected them this morning. Surprise, all 6 of my 1590a pedals and my G30 fired right up. Even all at once. I only had my practice amp but it sounded OK to me except there was some background hiss when I turned on my Thunderball distortion. I'm not sure if that's an issue or not since I never ran this pedal with my practice amp before. I'm gonna try it at my gig this Friday and we'll see how long it lasts and if the sound changes.

7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello, among turnkey products, there is this one: Volto

8. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    An 8-cell battery holder loaded with 7 Panasonic/Sanyo/Duraloop AA Low Self Discharge 2500mah Rechargeables + dummy cell.
    Pedalboard SM.

keyofnight, jcerio and spufman like this.
  9. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Update - I tried it at a gig last weekend and it worked flawlessly. This battery lasted through the whole 4 hour gig with my compressor and wireless on the whole time and only dropped one LED on the four LED indicator. Very happy. This is the battery and adapters I used:

Anker | PowerCore 20100 | Black

Amazon.com: Mr.Power Reverse Polarity Converter Cable 5.5 X 2.1 For Keyboard Guitar Effect Pedal: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: KUNCAN Dc 5v to Dc 12v Converter Step Up Voltage Converter 5ft Am to Dc5.52.1mm: Electronics

10. kurth83

kurth83

Mar 28, 2016
    Looks like I am late to this party, but here is what I should have said earlier:

You can buy USB power packs rated at 2 amps output, which will power even hefty digital pedals, with huge capacities that can supply their rated power for many hours, and they can go days at lower current draws. And many of them have two or more ports. My G3 takes USB power directly, so it gets a port, and the 9v converter gets the other port, I can go 12 hours with my old 6,000 mah battery pack. The regulated stable voltage of a USB pack is superior to native battery packs that give variable voltage. I have owned pedals that did bad things on dying batteries.

myvolts.com used to make a USB-9v converter that was polarity correct, they seem to be out of stock though, maybe discontinued.

Edit: that Kuncan converter the OP used is available in 9v and 12v versions, be sure to get the 9v one. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  11. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I finally got around to making this permanent. I've got it all mounted up. The connector on top disconnects the battery from the pedals. Everything is all fastened to the bottom and the cable to charge the battery is in place in place. 20170901_183950. 20170901_184005. 20170901_184021. 20170901_184041.