Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible online scam?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jobu3, Dec 9, 2003.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i am trying to sell a tobias growler. very nice bass just not a 5-string, anyway... i have it listed on here and at a classifieds-based site. i got some hits and after someone saying they will take the bass, here is what i get from them:

up come the red flags... i'm not comfortable running around with someone's extraneous $2000+ and wiring it to god-knows-where... i tell the person that i am not really comfortable doing so and that they should simply send the amount for the bass (along with a shipping address in the main 48 states) and do whatever they feel necessary with the rest.

reply comes back:

to which i reply: if the shipper is coming to me, why not send him/her all the necessary funds and have him/her pay me (with a cashier's check, money order, or flat out cash since there is apparently enough of it to go around) and do what needs to be done with the rest? as of yet, no reply... all this seems kind of not really worth it for the bass in question... i mean it's a good bass but it's well under a grand and not like it's an exotic alembic series I, or 50's p-bass, etc.

i'm thinking it has to do with some kind of ID theft or drugs, laundering of some sort... in any event, it is pretty bizarre! :eek: any thoughts, comments, and/or similar experiences are welcome.
    :confused:

2. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i don't think i am going to be meeting with any business assocites any time soon. :rolleyes:

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I've gotten very similar emails when selling instruments on Ebay. It's a scam in my opinion, but I've never bothered to find out for sure. I don't acknowledge their emails with a response. My advice would be to hold out for someone in the good ol USA who can pay by cashiers check, money order or Paypal.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It's an age old scam. I recommend you stay away from this guy, as I seriously doubt he is interested in your bass at all.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah, i am going to block their email...

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, this is a common scam that has been going on over the 'net for a couple of years now.

No reason you can't have some fun with him, though.

:D

7. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    what is the point of the scam?

8. As stated previously...money laundering.

9. The check that the buyer writes to you is bogus, but because it is an international check, it is shown as cleared by your bank after a couple of days. You write the buyer a legitimate check for the difference between the price for the goods, and the check he has written you. Several days or more later the check bounces, you have been taken for the goods, and for the amount of the check you wrote to the buyer.

10. I prefer not to deal with anyone who writes "u" for "you" and "pls" for "please" in the first place! :smug:

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    true. i have found that most people who have personal assistants don't use such agrammatical features. just my humble experience though...

12. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    or personal assitance...

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The typical AutoTrader E-MAil reply I'd get is: Helo Jones, i represent a buyer in Afrika relly like the car i get you check for $10k, you refund $6,500 difference, have title ready sign over, my friend will pick up. Please stop advertising car, thank you.

Heck Yeah it's a scam. Just reply stating your original price and terms plus, be explicit as to what forms of payment you accept(cash, certified funds drawn on a local bank to verify, ETC), that'll scare them off.
    But save the letter you send, you'll need to use it again because you'll get tons of these types of scam offers.

14. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Just sign your next email:

Big Joe
    Special Agent
    Overseas Operations
    Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Avaco PA.

15. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    now that's the ticket!

16. You'd never hear a peep from that guy again.

17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    A good way to avoid this type of scam is probably to say in your auction that you do not take bids from International bidders. I've only heard of these scams having to deal with international shipment.

I personally don't ship international. Too much hassle.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I got some guy named Thompson Selleck from Nigeria harassing me. I was randomly chosen from the billions of internet users to accept a deposit from him of several million dollars. He is such a trusting fella, and his grammar is far superior to any I have seen. :)

Just for kicks, go check out this site..Nigerian Scam. Takes about an hour or so to read, but I woke my dog up I was laughing so hard when I read it the first time.

-Mike

19. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's the scam. The international check or money order is bogus, but the banks cannot tell until a few weeks later. Even though they may "clear" into your account in a few days, they really won't clear for weeks. Once they bounce, the funds from the international check is removed from your account.
    BTW, you can always call the money order company to make sure that the MO is legit. I do that whenever I get paid via MO.