Possible problem, need help.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Inconnu, Dec 29, 2007.

1. I have a plywood Strunal upright I use only at home. I moved twice this year (once in the summer and again in november) and I noticed (after the second moving) a little something on my upright that I suspect to be a problem. I only had it for 2 years and bought it slightly used by the way.

The problem is that there's a slight "bump" in front, under the bridge, where the soundpost is. Actually, there's been on in the back of the bass for a while but my luthier said it was no big deal... but I'm concerned about the bump in the front. It also seems that the bridge has moved slightly up on the highest strings side. The bump is pretty slight still but I'm afraid it might get bigger... I'm also concerned about more important damages that could occur. Could it be that the change of environnement caused the soundpost to move into a bad position ? Should I take it to a luthier...

Any help would be appreciated !!!

Thanks !

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Perhaps the sound-post is now too tight. My advice: get thee to a luthier forthwith! ;)

3. seasons change and the wood moves, the soundpost is most likely too tight and you will need a new soundpost cut.

bring it to your luthier

4. Thanks !

I'll do that.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021