1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pot questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by soundoholic, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. I need to get two new pots for my modulus Q5.
    What style is the type that has a stop in the middle? Is that called a split shaft? What is the difference between audio and linear taper?
  2. Chasarms

    Chasarms Casual Observer

    May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    FWIW, this should be moved to setup. But . . .

    Linear taper is just what is sounds like. The signal level output increase linearly as you turn the pot. Audio pots increase logarithmically , (is that a word?) which sounds much more natural to your ears, as we don't tend to hear audio levels increase linearly. 99 percent of volume and tone pots in guitars are audio. The balance pot could be either.

    The biggest concern when replacing pots is getting the correct impedence. If I were you, I would e-mail either Bartolini or EMG, depending which preamp you have, and ask their recommendations. You may get lucky and find the value stamped or printed on the old pot.

    Detended blend pots (those with the midway stop) are sometimes a little tricky to find locally unless you have a good electronics supply store.

    Stew Mac or the like will probably have everything you need.
  3. Okay i deleted the drug related posts so people will actually give the question the time of day.


  4. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Nov 30, 2020

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.