Pots for overwound Jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cmanner, Apr 9, 2016.

1. cmanner

cmanner

Oct 1, 2011
    I am looking at overwound jazz pickups that measure:

25.8K Bridge, 19.4K Neck

What pots (250k or 500k) would be appropriate?

Thanks...

2. Firstly, the DCR of the pickups is pretty much useless. You don't need to consider it at all, when selecting pots.

In any case, this is a personal preference, with no right or wrong choice. 500k is a little brighter than 250k, which, in general, tends to align with the tonal preferences of overwound pickup players.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    good lawd!

are these stacks or regular single coils?

in any case, @line6man's point about resistance ≠ output is a good one, but resistance does tend to equal sensitivity to load impedance, i.e., dullness with the wrong pots and too long a cable.

you definitely want 500k pots with those things to try and save some high end. a 1M or no-load tone pot wouldn't be out of the question.

also, highly recommend linear volumes here; as you get into higher resistance pots, audio taper volumes tend to have more dropoff right from "10".

4. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I wired a Jazz bass with overwound stacks, last year, the dcr was similar, I think Duncan hot stacks, used 250k linear volume pots, a 250k audio tone pot, and a .022μf tone cap, Walter may be right about the 500k pots, (he usually is), the bass did sound pretty good though, if I had to describe it...clear, modern, kinda loud, but, very little growl, not exciting (to me), but ...clean, very ready for some pedals.

5. Where do you even find a 25k jazz pup

6. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That's what I'm wondering too, if it's a straight single coil I might have to try two in series (for humcacelling) Heck the super overwound blade guitar humbuckers I'm using in a build are only 15k.

7. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Duncan hot stacks sound balanced, the neck comes in at 18k+, the bridge 21k+, they aren't "overly" anything really, as far as sound, just a bit loud, there's room for more wire on those pups too, just as Line6man said though, it's not indicative of any particular sonic character, that set sounded too "clean" for my liking, in the 2 basses I've heard them in. The output would probably be a good match for a P/J bass, using the bridge pup, with a P pup.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. cmanner

cmanner

Oct 1, 2011
    These particular pickups come from Prima Guitar Shop. You can find them on eBay and Reverb. I bought a wiring harness from Keeling Sound to go with the pickups - 500k pots.

9. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I just ordered a Prima p-bass pickup. What do you think about yours now that you've had some time with them?

10. cmanner

cmanner

Oct 1, 2011
    Excellent pickups! I will probably get some Prima p-bass pickups soon.

My jazz pickups are overwound and work well with the Keeling wiring harness. I installed them in a 2008 American Standard Jazz.

Let me know how your Prima pickups work. I don't think you will be disappointed. I did my homework before buying. He does great work!

11. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Thanks! He has a new, wide range P-bass pickup that he calls the trident, that I'm going to try out. Sounds like more of a jazz pickup with a precision pickup punch.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021