1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp bridging help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ehacker01, Dec 7, 2006.

1. ehacker01

ehacker01

Oct 23, 2006
    Kansas City
    Ok, I am kind of conused about how this works. I am looking at the Behringer ep2500.

Can I bridge it into mono and run 2 cabs with 1/4" inputs? It looks like from the manual you have to use the the wire terminals? If the cabs I am using don't have speakons can I just get some sort of adapter.

2. It looks like for bridged mode you have to use binding posts. Yes you can buy adapter cables but I personally wouldn't send 1300 watts (or more) through a 1/4" connector. Do your cabs have binding posts??

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looking at the photo of the back of the amp on their web site, to bridge, you'd need to do the following:

1. Use input number 1

2. Set up the Filter and Limiter switches for Channel 1 (Limiter ON, Filter ON, you choose the frequency...if you can't hear the difference, go with 50 Hz).

3. Set switches 6 and 7 for the Bridge Mode.

4. Switch the Limiter and Filter for Channel 2 off.

5. The loudspeaker can either connect to the upper Speakon (if your cable is wired 1+ and 2+ (read the little chart next to Output 1)) or the Red binding posts as shown in the graphic to the right of those.

NOTE: Most commercially available Speakon cables are wired 1+ and 1- for conventional operation. As long as it's a 4 conductor Speakon plug (they also make 2 conductor plugs with the same size/shape body) you can easily rewire it.

6. You adjust the input gain with Channel 1's control with Channel 2 turned all the way down. Pay close attention to the instructions printed on the back of the amp near Channel 1's XLR input (and in the manual of course).

It's really not that hard as long as you don't let all the weird little switches and stuff freak you out. Just follow the markings on the amp in order (perhaps write down the list checking them off as you go) and you'll be done before you know it.

Easy enough?

Good luck!!!

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The 1/4 in. connections on that amp are inputs to the amp, not outputs to the speakers. If you have a balanced source the XLR jacks are inputs too.

The outputs are the Speakon jacks or the Binding Posts.

5. ehacker01

ehacker01

Oct 23, 2006
    Kansas City
    Thanks guys. I just talked to my buddy tht works at guitar center and they've got a used peavey pv1500 for $250 that I'm sure I could work down to $150-$200 that I'll go with instead. also he said the can give me a banana (binding post) to 1/4'' adapter to make it work.

Behringer seams ok for the dollars but peavey has never let me down, I'm gonna go with the peavey.

6. Peavey are always good :) One thing i have to say tho, ive looked everywhere on the net, and i havent read a single bad review on these behringers units! (other than the knobs feel cheap aparently)

7. ehacker01

ehacker01

Oct 23, 2006
    Kansas City
    From what I've read the peavey has a very un-colored sound. Also, GC doesn't carry behringer power amps and I have a $300 credit there so the peavey it is. Now I just have to decide for between the RBI or the BMAX for my clean channel. Once I get my other full stack running I'm going to be using the Rick-o-sound to run my bridge pickup with quite a bit of overdrive and my neck pickup with some clean low bass and run it both channels

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    One word on the Peavey-
    I believe it only bridges to 8 ohms.

Now, I could never get confirmation on this, but I fought with mine a LOT (I had a Demeter VTBP-201s running into it) concerning the amp going into Clipping mode.
    Granted it has whatever they call it, a signal limiter that is defeatable on the back, but I didn't want to cut that off for fear of blowing the cab I was using at the time!! (Schro 410R).

I only had one preamp to try with the amp, but I never got my Demeter past maybe 10:00 on Volume without the amp freaking out big time.

Plus, I could never get the middle Speakon to work right... :meh:

I'm sure it'd be a good amp for PA use, and I know you can get them cheap, but honestly I'd go for a Mackie 1400i or something instead. The Peavey just had too many "ticks" for me at least, to be a really good, no-worries bass amp (like my QSC or old Stewart World).

9. ehacker01

ehacker01

Oct 23, 2006
    Kansas City
    "WARNING…Regardless of what connections are used, the minimum parallel speaker load should
    always be limited to 2 Ohms per channel or 4 Ohms BRIDGE mode for any application. Operation at
    loads of 4 Ohms per channel, or 8 Ohms BRIDGE mode, is more desirable for sustained operation
    applications because the amplifier will run much cooler at this loading. Operation above 4 Ohms per
    channel and even open-circuit conditions can always be considered safe, but sustained operation at
    loads below 2 Ohms could result in temporary amplifier shut down due to the thermal limit circuitry."

So, we'll see I guess. If it doesn't work out, I've got 30 days to return it.

10. ehacker01

ehacker01

Oct 23, 2006
    Kansas City
    Ok, I called peavey today and you are correct. even though the manual states that it is 1500 @ 4 ohms it is only rated at running @ 8 ohms. I'm going with the mackie fr1400 instead.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Good choice and glad I could help! Mackies from my use of them are a great value.